Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   20 Gallon Long Recommendations (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/20-gallon-long-recommendations-217642/)

emeraldsky 07-01-2013 01:09 PM

20 Gallon Long Recommendations

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a new 20 gallon long yesterday and I'm looking for specific stocking help

My Water:
Between: 3.4 dGH and 11 dGH.
PH: 7.8

I have another 20 long thats filled with endlers and its just chaotic looking with them swimming all over the place so im hoping for a group of fish that will stay close knit to each other. This tank will be right by my bed so I'd like it a bit more peaceful looking :lol:

My tank will be heavily planted, similar to my current one(below), though much more organized (Hopefully:-D)
Attachment 160906

So overall I would like a schooling fish, probably on the larger side though small enough to be comfortable in my tank of course and wouldnt eat my plants. I'll probably need a centerpiece fish as well. Id like to stay away from anabantaids for now, I've had one in just about everyone of my previous tanks and Id like to try something new.

Currently, my favorite picks are:
Lemon Tetra
Diamond Tetra

I also have 9 pygmy cories I can put in this tank and I am looking at putting some amano shrimp in sometime in the future.

Id love more suggestions, thank you!

Byron 07-01-2013 01:45 PM

The pygmy corys will be fine, and the Lemon Tetra are suitable. Forget Diamond Tetra though, they are too active for this small a space, and they do get large.

Other fish that could work with the Lemons and corys would be some of the similarly quiet tetra, or the small to medium rasbora. Whiptail Catfish (one, or 2-3) would add some nice interest to the substrate.

I would however sort out the fluctuating GH. A difference from 3 to 11 is very significant. Is this due to seasons, and different sources for your tap water?

Byron.

emeraldsky 07-01-2013 02:38 PM

Thank Byron, I do have a farlowella I was thinking of putting in as well but I haven't looked into if its compatible or not yet.

Shame on the diamonds but I guess I was expecting it, ill have to save those for a bigger tank in the future.

The gh doesn't fluctuate, its between on of those numbers. My water report wasn't very conscise ^^;
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 07-01-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emeraldsky (Post 2449194)
Thank Byron, I do have a farlowella I was thinking of putting in as well but I haven't looked into if its compatible or not yet.

Shame on the diamonds but I guess I was expecting it, ill have to save those for a bigger tank in the future.

The gh doesn't fluctuate, its between on of those numbers. My water report wasn't very conscise ^^;
Posted via Mobile Device

This is a case then where I would test the water. Rather than buying a test kit to use once, take a sample of tap water to your fish store. Make sure they give you the number, not their "OK" or "medium".

Farlowella vitatta is fine, I have three plus many fry.:-) Assuming this is the common (smallish) species mentioned, not one of the giant "Royal" ones.

emeraldsky 07-01-2013 03:44 PM

I'll definitely do that them, I have an lfs I trust and I believe they test for gh and ph

I'm sure its a vitatta but ill double check since now I'm second guessing :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device