Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
- - Kuhli Loach information? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/kuhli-loach-information-21759/)
Kuhli Loach information?
Hi. I have a couple questions about the Kuhli Loach. anybody who knows about these guys or who owns or have previously owned these guys I would really love your feedback about them. Ok here are some of my questions,
1. Can one Kuhli Loach live in a 10 gallon tank?
2. do the Kuhli Loach & a Betta get along together?
3. How & what do you feed the Kuhli Loach?
4. Can they live in a tank that looks like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc7JKL4Vqf0 ?
Anything else and more information about the Kuhli Loach would be appreciated. Thanks :)
I would say yes to one and four, but I defer to the experts on those.
2. I have a kuhli and a betta, and they get along fine. If my betta's sitting near the bottom, he'll let the kuhli hide under his fins! Unless your betta is especially agressive toward anything that moves, I don't forsee a problem. Just watch them closely for a while.
3) I use Hikari Sinking Wafers (they start out as hard pellets, then slowly soften--those kind) for all my bottom feeders, and the kuhli gobbles them up.
I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but everything I've read says a single loach is a lonely loach. I keep loaches (love them!) and I can't imagine how lonely mine would be if there was only one species on its own in my tank.
I'd think one kuhli would spend all its time hiding as they are shy and prefer the company of their own kind. I'd get at least three. Your tank has plenty of hiding spaces for loaches but due to its size I'd only get 3 kuhlis, even though I like to see them in groups of at least five.
You could easily put five or six kuhli loaches in a 10g with a betta. However, every betta is different, and there's always the off chance that it will attack the loaches so you'll have to keep an eye out.
Also, the loaches really need a sand substrate rather than gravel. They like to burrow so that gravel will tear them up and they'll get infections. You can buy a big bag of play sand at Home Depot for about $4. Just be sure to rinse it really well and, if you can, switch from sand to gravel in chunks of about 1/3 the floor space of the tank a week to avoid a mini cycle.
im also thinking about getting kuhli loaches. i was wondering if they would get along okay with a school of corys? i have a 29 gallon tank, so how many would i be able to get? i know they like to be in schools so i would like to be able to get enough to make them happy but i would also have 4 corys sharing the bottom of the tank with them. and do they absolutely need sand or will they be okay with smooth gravel?
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.