Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   Grretings from the emerald of the northwest! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/grretings-emerald-northwest-21739/)

jaybyrd 02-28-2009 12:25 AM

Grretings from the emerald of the northwest!

6 Attachment(s)
Hello guys and gals! It has been a very long time since I have posted here and for good reason. I have completed an arduous journey of 2700 miles and have basically been in rebuild mode. The new homestead is in a magnificient world class city - that of Seattle Washington in the U.S.

So on to aquariums...

I recieved a free gift of a 50 gallon and it's fir wood stand. Well you know what can one do but create something greater than any flat screen t.v. or video game than build a planted aquarium and watch the citizens play!

The tank dimensions are awesome for the displacement - 18" tall by 18" wide by 36" long. This means there is depth in the tank from the viewing angle superior to a show tank ( 12" deep ). Nice for aquascaping.

So the inhabitants are - a male pearl gourami ( sorry love this species...), a couple of dwarf gouramis, a siamese fighting fish, 4 panda cories ( new to me and way cool ), 2 blue rams, and cardinal tetras.

So I saved some long term dough and spent early on and well - substrate! Eco-complete with the bacteria laden water set the tank up in 36 hours....

Center piece plants are a madagascar lace fern, tiger lilies? well take a look at photos from a week old tank. Had help from the finest LFS I have ever seen a place for pets in Burien (just 6 blocks south of the seattle city limit) - link - A Place for Pets

Great people - unbelieveable prices and plants and fish and tanks.

So her you go - laugh at will

:lol:

[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 1134[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

The pearl gourami is named Zen. Sun Tsu is the Betta. Bipolar is not shown but is a neon dwarf gourami.

Do not have names for the rams yet. Boy - they are lovely fish...

Remember the tank is only a week old and the tiger lily (one of three seed pods - all good) already has sent two shoots to the surface. Will not be injecting CO2 due to the thought that the lace fern does not a PH of less than 7.0? is this true - any input? Will use excel for CO2 otherwise. And will be adding plants as well as propogating clippings and seeds....

J

pkennedy0219 02-28-2009 03:56 AM

very very nice sir, i like the black substrate

aunt kymmie 02-28-2009 10:54 AM

Beautiful. Have you ever considered adding a background? I think that would be a nice touch. Your tank looks great!

jeaninel 02-28-2009 11:23 AM

Welcome back Jaybyrd! The tank and fish look beautiful. Pearls are my favorite gourami.

Kim 02-28-2009 12:35 PM

Nice tank! Your fish are stunning as well :) Lots of my favorite fish in there!

jaybyrd 03-01-2009 11:23 AM

thanks guys

I was very wrong about the PH necessary for the blue rams sake as well as the madagascar lace fern. Both require a PH of less than 7.0 and flourish in a PH of 6.5. PH 6.5 seems to be the sweet spot for planted aquariums and tropical fish ( most tropical fish ).

So needless to say - so begins another CO2 injected aquarium DIY method. No problem - I have seen giant vals grow 8" in a week.

Again thanks for your kind support.

J

veganchick 03-01-2009 11:27 AM

love the blue rams and betta!

dramaqueen 03-01-2009 01:49 PM

Nice tank! Love the betta.