Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   How many fish are too many for my 90g? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/how-many-fish-too-many-my-21717/)

RyanJmz 02-27-2009 04:50 PM

How many fish are too many for my 90g?

I have a 25g tank with 2-4" Rainbow Sharks, and 2-6" Sailfin Plecos. I am setting up a 90g and I want to know if 1 Tiger Oscar, 3 Bala Sharks, and my existing 4 fish are too much for the tank. I would appreciate any responses. Thanks!

Livelifelaughlove 02-27-2009 06:39 PM

I personally think that would be fine, but i don't really know much about those types of fish. The number of fish id ont't think would be the problem for sure, but if they are compatible tank mates is the main thing. I don't really know though.

jeaninel 02-27-2009 06:50 PM

Is it a standard 4 ft 90 gallon tank? I would say no to the Bala sharks and maybe only one of the plecos. The Rainbow sharks may be ok but you might have aggression issues between them. The Sailfin plecos will eventually need a bigger tank. With the Oscar and the plecos being very messy fish you will really need to stay on top of your water maintenance and have good filtration.

aspects 02-27-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 176364)
Is it a standard 4 ft 90 gallon tank? I would say no to the Bala sharks and maybe only one of the plecos. The Rainbow sharks may be ok but you might have aggression issues between them. The Sailfin plecos will eventually need a bigger tank. With the Oscar and the plecos being very messy fish you will really need to stay on top of your water maintenance and have good filtration.

yeah, i forgot to add that too. thanks.

your sailfins can grow to almost 2'. (however they do grow kind of slow) and sailfins are one of the more aggressive plecos. so maybe just one for a while, buit it will eventually need to be rehomed.
and besides WC, as was already covered, you will also need to make sure you have very good filtration for that tank. plecos are poop machines, and oscars are just about the messiest fish on the planet. lol ;-)

RyanJmz 02-27-2009 07:50 PM

Thanks, They should be compatible...I am just worried about their massive sizes.

RyanJmz 02-27-2009 07:53 PM

About the Filtration, I have a drilled tank with a cornerflow, and I was looking at a Fluval FX-5 or maybe a MArineland C-530. I would rather have too much filtration than not enough!

aspects 02-27-2009 07:53 PM

well, as a general rule of thumb, a single oscar will need a 75/90g footprint on its own. now this doesnt take into account things like filtration/wc ect. so there are margis, but based on size and bioload, youre looking at the oscar alone in the 90g wihtout needing any additional maintenance.
with that said. i have tanks that are WAAAAAAAAAAAAY more overstocked then what youre suggesting, and have been running this way for years. with "overfiltration" (theres really no such thing as too much), and a religious WC schedule, it is possible to keep more fish in the tank. unfortunately, the 90g wont be enough for bala sharks.

aspects 02-27-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanJmz (Post 176413)
About the Filtration, I have a drilled tank with a cornerflow, and I was looking at a Fluval FX-5 or maybe a MArineland C-530. I would rather have too much filtration than not enough!

dont waste your money on the marineland canister. that fx5 is just about the best thing on the market right now, and will absolutely do the job in a 90g. glad to see your on the right path as far as filtration. :-D

RyanJmz 02-27-2009 07:57 PM

Alright, that what I was thinking....I do a water change once a week in my 25g so I can keep it overstocked at the moment...Is the FX-5 a good filter?

aspects 02-27-2009 07:58 PM

hell yes it is. lol. i use them on almost all of my big tanks. sometanks have 2 on them, or one and an ac110 HOB. between the fx5 and the larger eheim canisters, you cant go wrong.