Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   whos eating who?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/whos-eating-who-21687/)

cppeppers90 02-26-2009 03:44 PM

whos eating who??

Hi,
I have a 30g aquarium and during the day my fish are peaceful and they dont seem to bother eachother, but every morning the last couple of days a fish has been injured.

I have:
1 raphael cat fish
1 angel fish
1 betta fish
2 guppies
2 neon tetras
1 albino clawed frog
1 flame dwarf gourami
1 neon blue dwarf gourami

I had 6 tetras but 4 have been eaten. I assume that the catfish did that because of his swollen stomach.

I had two angel fish but one got his pectoral fin ripped off as well as another large scratch on its side. It died the next day.

My betta fish's tail got all chewed up since i went to bed last night.

The frog is not very big yet, hes about an inch and a half so I doubt hes been doing it. The angel fish were always peaceful and never attacked eachother or any other fish. The flame dwarf gourami is a little bigger than the neon blue dwarf gourami and he chases him a little but never really does damage. The catfish is about 3 inches and hides most of the time but is nocturnal ive read.

What do you guys think is attacking my fish?

dramaqueen 02-26-2009 04:29 PM

I don't know about the rest of the fish but bettas and gouramis are very territorial so they may be doing a lot of the fighting. I also know that bettas can and do eat neon tetras. I had one years ago that did that.

fishkid 02-26-2009 04:34 PM

Try removing the catfish.

cppeppers90 02-26-2009 04:36 PM

interesting, I thought bettas were peaceful as long as they werent with other bettas. When i got it at the pet store it was actually in an aquarium with guppies.

I also thought that dwarf gouramis arent as aggressive.

Its strange, Im at my desk (near my tank) a good portion of the day and the fish appear to get along just fine but at night they attack eachother(i guess). I wish they would do it while im watching so i can fix the problem.

cppeppers90 02-26-2009 04:38 PM

Do you think the catfish can rip a fin off the angel fish though? I mean his mouth faces down. I will try removing the catfish if you think that will help.

dramaqueen 02-26-2009 04:38 PM

Bettas can't be with anything with long, flashy fins or fish that are nippy.

cppeppers90 02-26-2009 04:47 PM

Yeah nothing in my tank really has a long flashy tai.l my guppies are all yellow and they dont have long tails. The dead angelfish was bigger than the one i have in there now. The one i have in there now is unharmed.

cppeppers90 02-26-2009 04:49 PM

right now the betta is sitting in the top corner of the tank not looking so great.

willow 02-26-2009 05:10 PM

hi
i feel the mix of fish for you is not great.
you Angel will probably pick off the neons.
the Betta should be in his own tank.
the frog ......hmmmmmmm i have no experiance with those sorry
my dGs never lasted long so can't help there either.
could you post a few details more about the tank
how long has it been set up.
how did you cycle it / have you cycled it ?
how did you do it ?
what are the water readings.,
thanks.
oh yeah sorry......... Welcome :)

cppeppers90 02-26-2009 05:24 PM

The tank has been up since early september.
I know the tetras were a bad idea, but my girlfriend surprised me with fish lol she actually bought the two angelfish and 6 tetras at once...

before that i had the frog, the betta, the catfish, the flame gourami and two guppies with no problems.

When I cycled my tank I had a catfish, a gourami, and another red fish i dont remember what it was anymore.
after a couple weeks a added fish little by little until i bought a flower horn ciclid (for 4$!!) which was labeled as a JD and I didnt know the difference at the time. It killed all my fish one by one until the tank was just him. I had him for 3months then he had what looked like a seizure and died.

After my flowerhorn died in december, i bought the clawed frog the gourami and the guppies.

I dont have a reading on my water right now, sorry