Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Feeding a Golden Mystery Snail (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/feeding-golden-mystery-snail-21679/)

lharpster 02-26-2009 09:11 AM

Feeding a Golden Mystery Snail

Hello,
I recently added a snail (about the size of a nickel) to my tank with a male betta. I bought some algae disks to feed him. There aren't any directions on the bag on how much to feed a snail so I dropped 1 disk in the corner of the tank and right now he is sitting on top of it (eating it?) My question is how often should I throw one of these disks in the tank for him, and if he doesn't eat it for a while should I remove it so it doesn't dirty the tank?
Thanks
Lori

pkennedy0219 02-26-2009 07:31 PM

my gold mystery snail loves algae tablets. He is eating it if he is on top of it. I would put it in there and see what he can eat, remove what is left after a day or two. I have had mine for about a month and he has gone from the size of yours to about the size of ping pong ball. Btw does your betta pick on him or does he leave him alone?

Lupin 02-26-2009 07:45 PM

Bettas aren't often good tankmates as they will nip the eyes and antennaes of the snails. Despite being able to regenerate the parts they lose, it's not a good idea to leave them dealing with stress in the long run. What are your pH and KH? You need to focus on calcium enriched foods. Stick with collards, seaweeds and dill greens. Make snail jello or plaster of Paris for the snail. Kensfish.com is about to release a new food specially for snails this week hopefully so watch out for their new stocks. It has calcium content of 20% which is higher than seaweeds despite seaweeds being the best available food for snails.

pkennedy0219 02-26-2009 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 176015)
Bettas aren't often good tankmates as they will nip the eyes and antennaes of the snails. Despite being able to regenerate the parts they lose, it's not a good idea to leave them dealing with stress in the long run. What are your pH and KH? You need to focus on calcium enriched foods. Stick with collards, seaweeds and dill greens. Make snail jello or plaster of Paris for the snail. Kensfish.com is about to release a new food specially for snails this week hopefully so watch out for their new stocks. It has calcium content of 20% which is higher than seaweeds despite seaweeds being the best available food for snails.

i take it you like snails.

dramaqueen 02-26-2009 07:54 PM

Lupin is our snail expert here at FishForum. :)

lharpster 02-27-2009 11:22 AM

Thanks to both of you for responding. My betta fish is curious about the snail, but I have yet to see him picking on him. My other bettas were so aggressive - even to me - but this one is pretty timid compared to the other fish I've had. My guy at my LFS said that a snail would be ok with a betta fish - now I find that it's not such a good idea. UGGGGHHH - so frustrating! Thanks for setting me straight on what to feed him too!
Lori