Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   I wish my Jack Dempsey would die kind of (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/i-wish-my-jack-dempsey-would-21665/)

soxfan81 02-25-2009 09:53 PM

I wish my Jack Dempsey would die kind of

I took on a tank from my in-laws it was a 30 gallon. The filter was broken no lights and the water was half way. Here I am 2 months later with a fish that is 5 inches long and my kids are attached to and won't let me give away to a good home. I personally really would like a community tank with some plants in it. Now I am stuck with this fish that is too large for the tank I have and little boys that refuse to let him go to another home. Sometimes when they are sleeping I wish he would leave. But I can't do it I feel bad for the poor guy it wasn't his fault the previous owners neglected him. By the way my kids are 4 and 2 and are not very rational.

aunt kymmie 02-25-2009 10:00 PM

Not sure if this is a solution but it's what I would try. Take the kids into a fish store and let them get all excited about having more fish. Maybe with all the variety they'd see it would take the glow off the JD. You could explain to them while at the store how Jack really needs a bigger home. They might surprize you and go for it. Then you could rehome the JD and turn the 30gl into a community tank. Just an idea...

Nudist 02-25-2009 10:07 PM

i agree with Kymmie, that might just work and Jack would like it better in a bigger tank. good luck with whatever you do, with the kids involved even though they are young, i know its hard.

Steve

Fishcricker 02-25-2009 10:10 PM

I would just do as you know is right for the fish. Rehome it or trade it for community fish. In reality......Your children are VERY young and they will forget all about the JD after they are experiencing other more exiciting fishes of the world.

dramaqueen 02-25-2009 10:41 PM

I agree with Kym. Maybe the kids could help pick out some new fish for the tank. That might make them feel better about losing the Jack Dempsey.

aunt kymmie 02-25-2009 10:45 PM

I also agree with Fishcricker. The kids are young and in the long run you do what's best for the fish. But it's still worth the try to let the kids make the "decision" and if they're anything like my nephews the above plan will work. :-)

Livelifelaughlove 02-26-2009 01:50 PM

Agrees with it all. If you let them help you pick out the fish *ooo pretty colors* and allow them to name them, it will probably be a sinch to get rid of it. Also explain to them about how the fishes tank is his house and he really needs a bigger house because he just doesn't fit in it anymore, so he will be happy in a bigger tank. maybe set up a agreement with the person you give it to that the little ones can come and visit him once or twice a month, just to make sure he is ok. then slowly weedle down the visits and viola the fish memories are no more

Spoon 02-26-2009 06:22 PM

I agree with A.K. Or....you can get another tank :)

soxfan81 02-26-2009 06:51 PM

I have offered to go to the pet store and get other fish that they pick out and they tell me they like "Buzz" more and they want to keep him. I really just considering finding a good home for him and explainig that Buzz is to big for us. He has some fin rot and I am not sure that anyone would want a fish like that. His rot has gotten better but he still has a long way to go. I was even thinking about giving him to the LFS but not sure they would want him. Then I could bring the new fish home when I get rid of Buzz.

dramaqueen 02-26-2009 07:02 PM

Sometimes employees at a petstore will take in unwanted pets. At my Petsmart, one of the groomers took a homeless puppy that someone dumped in a field by my house. And another time, someone left a rat in a cage in a cart and an employee adopted it.