Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   What should I put in my nano reef? Help Please! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/what-should-i-put-my-nano-21653/)

NemoFan 02-25-2009 04:51 PM

What should I put in my nano reef? Help Please!

Hey I have a 10 gallon nano- reef with 2 clown fish and a couple of snails. I have a video of it so i you would please watch that it is 25 seconds long you can tell me where you think my aquarium should be headed( What kind of corals should I get, anemones, tell me what you think would be good in it.). In 2 weeks I am investing in a protein skimmer, and a coral/anenome light. They assured me the low-light corals would be fine under my current fixture for a while. So if I could please have you imput that would be great. Please be specific to, cause I don't know what things are so I have to be able to look them up on the computer. My aquarium is a blank slate please tell me what to do with it!-Thanks

Cody 02-25-2009 04:54 PM

How old is the tank?
How may pounds of live rock do you have?
What is your lighting?
Calcium, Magnesium, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, pH Reading?

No anemones in a 10G tank IMO.

onefish2fish 02-25-2009 05:29 PM

agree with above. answer those and we will go from there.

also what lighting are you planning.

NemoFan 02-25-2009 09:24 PM

I am going to get a compact florescent bulb, and my saltwater gravity is 1.20-1.202. SO there is an anemone that stays only a few inches though, that the pet store man said would do okay in my aquarium. right now because I am pretty much only fish I have a regular filter, but I am getting a protein skimmer that sits on top of a new filter, but I will run the old ones empty to get more water flow.

Cody 02-25-2009 09:29 PM

You didn't answer the questions...

-Type of lighting includes Watts please. And compact flourescent WILL NOT handle an anemone. Why do you want one so bad? They are best left in the wild.
-Pounds of live rock?
-Water Parameters? And I hope you meant 1.020 to 1.021.
-Age of the tank?

Also, what type of filter is a "basic" filter, and what protein skimmer are you getting?

Lastly, don't ever listen to LFS employees. They are only after your money.

cerianthus 02-25-2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody (Post 175701)
You didn't answer the questions...

-Type of lighting includes Watts please. And compact flourescent WILL NOT handle an anemone. Why do you want one so bad? They are best left in the wild.
-Pounds of live rock?
-Water Parameters? And I hope you meant 1.020 to 1.021.
-Age of the tank?

Also, what type of filter is a "basic" filter, and what protein skimmer are you getting?

Lastly, don't ever listen to LFS employees. They are only after your money.

Maybe? IMO, listening wont hurt as long as you use common sense/sound judgement. This is one way to learn, from others's mistake/nonsense.
This is why perform research and read before purchasing livestocks. Carry laptop/iphone with you when browsing thus can do quick search at the spot!. Used to carry books before computer when browsing.

NemoFan 02-27-2009 09:59 AM

Ok, you know I know nothing I just started and I believed everything the pet store owner said now what kind of light do I need for an anenome? I want an anenome because I have clowns and if they have already been taken from the ocean andour now in the petstore why shouldn't I be the one to take it? I don't know my water parameters. Tank is 4 months old. I just have a whisper 10 and I will post the name of the protien skimmer also.

tinydove 02-27-2009 10:42 AM

Nemo Fan, as the others have stated water chemistry is very important to keeping a happy healthy tank for you and all you house in it. So if you do not have yest kits for these it would be best to get them. With the $ you put into your tank and fish and corals you want to make sure all is well and not lose a ton of $ from loss of fish and corals.

As for an anenome for your clowns to host, your tank is not old enough to house one. Your tank should be up and running for a long time before even considering one, it would not be fair and healthy for the creature in such a new tank. There are other things that clowns will host, like frogspawn, hammer corals and such.

If you are set on an anenome why not try some mushrooms for they are not really a coral they are really an aanenome. They do not need alot of light and are much easier to keep. They come in all different colors and are really verry nice to look at and do spread fast and do well under CF lighting. And your clowns just might host them. I had a Perc that hosted some blue shrooms before.

Just make sure you test your water chemistry and do your weekly water changes and you will do fine.

NemoFan 02-27-2009 02:00 PM

I will see if I can get a test kit and I do water changes very often. I have a few mushrooms, they are fine under my current light but they won't spread too much. So what is it you would do in a tank with compact florescent that was 10 gallon with 2 clowns.

onefish2fish 02-27-2009 05:22 PM

what I would do in your situation is do more research. it is important to be well educated on your hobby. you will save money, livestock, headaches and actually enjoy what your doing rather then be frustrated.

as for anemones, in the wild i hear they live to be 200+ years and ive also heard they are eternal under proper conditions which means they do not die. either way, that is a very long time. the longest time of an anemone being kept personally is a guy that had it for alittle over 15 years. if you compare the lifespan, 15 doesnt even put a dent in 200. he is also well educated in the saltwater hobby. im not saying you cant have one, im saying more research is in order. anemones need reef condtions for their survival. this not only inlcudes lighting but water parameters which includes ammonia, nitrite,nitrate,ca,mag,alk,salinity,temp, flow, and so on. clownfish are not all from the wild, infact a large ammount are tank bred and raised. just because you have an amen doesnt guarentee that they will host either. a clown will host anything it feels safe and comfortable in, which includes but certainly isnt limited to corals, live rock, powerheads, clams, and so forth. a few more issues is that with a 10 gallon tank water parameters change faster then they would with more water volume which means you will have to be more diligent on keeping water quality. 10 gallon nanos are done all the time, they just tend to have bouncy water params that need to be watched. also an anem will walk through out your tank to find a spot it likes which will possibly unleash havoc in a small set up as well as grow to large and the sweeper tenticles will sting any other corals you wish to keep. a nem that dies will "nuke" a tank killing everything unless removed basically right after. again, im not discouraging the purchase of an anemone, im encouraging holding off and doing more research, alot more research.

as for things to go under compacts, zooathids, xenia, green star polyps.. those are some good choices.