Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   TINY tank! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/tiny-tank-21633/)

veganchick 02-24-2009 06:57 PM

TINY tank!

Ok, so I have a TINY tank! (more like a jar) Its about 1.75 quarts, and its filled with water and sand. I can put some live plants in it.... I was just wandering if there are ANY inverts that can live in there?

Cody 02-24-2009 08:07 PM

No inverts unless you have a filter/heater. Heater for some would be for a constant temperature, instead of actual heat.

I think it would be much easier and cleaner if you just had house plants and not aquatic plants (in a jar).

veganchick 02-24-2009 08:38 PM

will bamboo and ghost shrimp work? (I have my own heater system in my room to keep it at a constant temp. for the purpose of my fish)

iamntbatman 03-03-2009 02:33 PM

Possibly ghost shrimp, but not bamboo shrimp. Bamboo shrimp are filter feeders, so they really need a good amount of water flow so they can catch drifting particles of food with their fan-like claws. I would only get two or three ghost shrimp for a container that small, and I would try to put some kind of really small sponge filter in there. I don't think you'd need a heater.

veganchick 03-13-2009 11:37 AM

ok, thanks. I didn't realize how large bamboo shrimp got till I saw one in person! I decided to hold of on the shrimp for awhile tho cuz in one of my tanks I had a fluke worm problem, so I don't wanna get any inverts right this minute. Not till i know its completly cured!anyway, thanks!

daisycutter 03-13-2009 12:07 PM

i like the idea of micro tanks how about just using mosses and for inverts some small snails i have lots of tiny ramshorn type snails in my tanks and there only 2mm across so they would work

veganchick 03-13-2009 03:02 PM

ooooo cool! I have a snail that I got as a tiny baby like 1mmish about a month ago in a 1g, but he is still only about 1/2 of m fingernail, and i'm not close to full grown! he might be ok? I was thinking a tiny bit of java moss, maybe my snail, and 2 ghost shrimp? ok?Is sand subsrate, gravel, or marbles better? as for cleaning I was planning on a 10 percent once a week. sound ok? this will all have to wait a few weeks, maybe a month, but it think it will be really cool! daisycutter, can u post a pic of ur snails so i can know kinda what to look for? thx!

Cody 03-13-2009 04:29 PM

Saying your tank is only .4 gallons, you could like siphon stuff out with a turkey baster every day. That would be best, and it would take a second. Water changes are vital in little tanks.

daisycutter 03-13-2009 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is the best i can get there a very small ramshorn species there in all my tanks to some degree they must of came in with some plants they were not invited but not a problem there small inoffesive and feed on algea

veganchick 03-14-2009 07:14 PM

coo! thanks guys! I decided on marble substrate (easiest to keep clean in a tiny jar/tank/bowl), java moss, 2 ghost shrimp, one snail. hes about 3mm &full grown. thx for the turkey baster idea, Cody! I'll do that!