Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   how to set up dual canister? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/how-set-up-dual-canister-216194/)

Agent13 06-29-2013 11:09 AM

how to set up dual canister?

I am currently running an eheim 2217 and a Hydor Koralia 850 in my 72bowfront. I think sooner rather then later I'll add a second of the same canister but when running two where would the proper placement for everything be? The spray bars and intakes and powerhead? The way it's set up now is intake in the far left back power head near it pointed up a little and spray bar far right top near the surface slighted pointed up. But when doubling up I think I'm completely confused at what will work..Help! lol

jaysee 06-29-2013 11:35 AM

This is how I have mine set up. One is in each corner. On the one side, the spraybar is mounted on the side glass, pushing water across the front of the tank. On the other side, the spraybar is mounted vertically on the back glass, pushing the water across the back of the tank.

Agent13 06-29-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 2434074)
This is how I have mine set up. One is in each corner. On the one side, the spraybar is mounted on the side glass, pushing water across the front of the tank. On the other side, the spraybar is mounted vertically on the back glass, pushing the water across the back of the tank.

So that would create a pretty much circular current itself, right? The to keep a nice rift lake current the powerhead would stay as I have it?

jaysee 06-29-2013 11:49 AM

I don't think you would need the powerhead.

Agent13 06-29-2013 11:54 AM

Really? The store has them all over all of their overstocked cichlid tanks. They did say if I see the fish struggling in the current I can bring it back and switch to a smaller powerhead. Do the two spray bars create a pretty good current?

(I can always save it for the next tank hahaha)

jaysee 06-29-2013 12:01 PM

That setup will make a nice bidirectional linear current. How strong the current will be is a function of how powerful the filters are. I have experience with several filter brands, but eheim is not one of them so I am not comfortable speaking about them.

Agent13 06-29-2013 01:08 PM

and I don't have experience with other canister brands haha. I actually HATE the green tubing from eheim but love the way it works. Thanks I was hoping (like you described) to create a bidirectional current. Then also wanted to feel more safe when leaving town that their water would stay very clean leaving the only danger being the fish themselves...dominance rivalry or whatever. Too many tanks to sit here and worry about water quality in the "frat house" tank.

jaysee 06-29-2013 01:17 PM

I never worry about water quality - I feel bad for people that do :-)

It's simple enough to change out the tubing. The tubing on my sunsuns is green - doesn't bother me any since I don't ever see it because of the backgrounds. As far as the intake and spraybar pieces themselves, they are easily replaced or painted with krylon fusion.

Agent13 06-29-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 2434554)
It's simple enough to change out the tubing. The tubing on my sunsuns is green - doesn't bother me any since I don't ever see it because of the backgrounds. As far as the intake and spraybar pieces themselves, they are easily replaced or painted with krylon fusion.

I know... jesus... one thing at a time man. lol.

jaysee 06-29-2013 01:26 PM

You should learn to multitask ;-)