Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Advantage of 20G Long?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  JohnnyD44 
#1 ·
After only a few weeks of having a 10 gallon, I've decided I want a 20. That's really as big as I can get considering my home.
I'd really like to get a kit because of how much cheaper it would make the package of the tank, filter, heater, and hood. I'm having trouble, however, finding a 20 gallon long in a kit. Those are the dimensions I much prefer over high.

I'm wondering though since long appears to be more popular (granted, I can get a long tank separately) is there some sort of advantage I cannot conceive? I would think it would be better for fish to have a distance to swim, rather than having the option to ascend or descend the depths.

Also, when transferring to the 20 gallon, how do I go about doing it? Here's my theory... some one tell me if it's sound.
Transfer everything in the 10 gallon, including water, into the new one adding about a gallon to 1.5 gallons of dechlorinated tap water. After about a week or 10 days, add another solution of water to the tank. Repeat until the 20 gallon is full.
How does all that sound?

#2 ·
lol, no...use all your old tank water (10 gallons) into your new tank,

Then fill it up the rest of the way with de-clorinated sink water. It'll be fine :)

#5 ·
I'm buying a 37g tank (same length/width as a 20 long)

#8 ·
You wouldn't have to put the water in the new 20g. Just switch the filter, decor, substrate to the new tank and you should be fine.
I had a 30g high and it drove me nuts, I finally got rid of it and bought a 20g long. Way better!

#9 ·
I have a 20L right now too. You may need a bigger filter of course depending on how big your 10G filter is. I have a Penguin Bio-Wheel 200 on my tank....it works great!!!

20L was a great choice, I had a 20 High, after about a month, I gave it to my brother!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.