Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Hospital tank set up? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/hospital-tank-set-up-21578/)

jesterns2 02-23-2009 06:31 AM

Hospital tank set up?

My LFS told me that all I would need is somewhere in the tank for the fish to hide,a heater and a sponge filter. NOw where i`m confused is that they are saying its ok to leave the tank empty but take the sponge off of the filter and put it on one of my filters in the display tank. Then when I need the hospital tank to fill it even if its tap water that I use as opposed to RO water remove the sponge from the display tank and put it onto the sponge filter for the hospital tank and I will be fine to go ahead and use that tank that day to put a sick/new fish in for quarantine. Now i`m just brand new to this, but this goes against everything I have read on setting up a tank as far as establishing the cycle. Can anybody shed any light on this? Maybe I misunderstood what he was saying? Thankyou

1077 02-23-2009 08:39 AM

Placing a sponge filter in your aquarium is a easy way to make a new tank or hospital tank ready for moderate stocking of fish immediately. The sponge filter will hold beneficial bacteria same as the canister or hang on the back filter. By having a sponge filter in your tank along with your regular canister or hang on the back filter you can simply take the sponge filter which runs on air stone or air pump from your main tank and place it and the air pump that powers it in your hospital tank and safely add fish. I have sponge filters running in two tanks for that reason. IF I decide to start a new tank the sponge filter is removed from my main tank and placed in the new tank or hospital or quarantine tank. HYDRO sponge is the one I prefer, they come in sizes for tanks from five gal to 125 gal. I use two HYDRO V sponges each rated for 125 gal in an 80 gal Discus tank along with Emperor 400 for circulation. Hope some of this helps.;-)

jesterns2 02-23-2009 09:51 AM

Yea that definetly helped, I will put it on one of my Fluvals. How long does it take until there is enough beneficial bacteria on the sponge that it will be effective?

1077 02-23-2009 10:14 AM

Two weeks in an established mature tank and sponge will be seeded .

jesterns2 02-23-2009 10:23 AM

As it has i`m just about to set up my first saltwater tank. What do you mean by mature established tank are you talking months,years or the tank has been through the intial cycle?

cerianthus 02-23-2009 10:52 AM

Any tank that is well established biologically (cycled) should do. If you have Fluval, maybe troublesome to seed the sponge. How about have one sponge filter running in main tank thus can remove when needed, no need to wait two weeks. Sometimes sick fish wont give you that much time.

What i used to do was the following.
Either have the Q/T run all the time or simply set up as needed using water and some gravel from main tank. This will be like doing partial water changes on main tank (that is only if big difference in volume b/n main and QT). By the time you notice something wrong w/ fish, cant wait weeks to seed the sponge but water and gravel from the main tank will give enough to start. Since Q/t will hold either one or two fish, should not cause mini cycle. If does, simple small, daily water changes using main tank water will take care of mini cycle (of course, water from Q/t should be discarded). Besides, if using antibiotic, some of them will produce NH3 as its byproducts as med breaksdown. If q/ting large number of fish, then more care should be given along with monitoring water quality.
Hope this help you a bit.

1077 02-23-2009 10:53 AM

Tank has completed the cycle and is supporting the fish. Ideally the sponge filter is in the tank that you are cycling so when the tank has cycled so too will the sponge be colonized with bacteria.After that, just leave the sponge filter in the main tank until it's needed for hospital or quarantine tank or to start a new tank. The sponge fiter will always hold bacteria(the good kind) But must first be seeded with this bacteria hence, the two weeks needed for initial seeding of the sponge.

jesterns2 02-23-2009 11:05 AM

Ok cool. LOL now that we are on filters i`m gonna get a little off subject. The used tank(75g) I purchased came with a fluval 405 and a 205. It also came with a Ehiem pro.(2227). Are these poor choices on filters? Should I have a sump instead?

cerianthus 02-23-2009 11:15 AM

Although Canister are good, especially Eheim but unless cleaned so often, will become Nitrate Factory. Thus Sump is better choice but not a must! Google for DIY Sump/Refuge which will help understand and to be more cost effective, not mention more efficient.

jesterns2 02-23-2009 11:29 AM

Hey thankyou, out of curiousity what do you mean by clean often? Weekly, monthly?