Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   All My Angels Do Is Hide... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/all-my-angels-do-hide-21569/)

Sj45 02-22-2009 11:39 PM

All My Angels Do Is Hide...
 
Ever since I've removed my tiger barbs from my angels tank, all the angels seem to want to do is hide in the tiger barb's old piece of driftwood. Kind of frustrated, because you wouldn't know there were angels in the tank unless you looked pretty close into the driftwood. Just wanted to hear some of your opinions, thanks.

FuzzAz 02-22-2009 11:45 PM

You should test your water and post the results. It sounds like they are stressed and that is commonly a water quality issue.

Sj45 02-23-2009 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzAz (Post 174724)
You should test your water and post the results. It sounds like they are stressed and that is commonly a water quality issue.

I will go test the water, The water temperature did drop from like 82-76 today b/c i took out a heater for another tank :( I assume this could be the problem? Do I need to buy another heater? The Temp is now consistently at 76F.

Edit: This is a Tetra heater 200w, maxed out.

ok, here are my 55g tank stats:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ph 8.2 (to high?)
Temperature 76F

FuzzAz 02-23-2009 12:30 AM

I think that could be the problem, that much of a change will cause stress to the fish. plus I think 76 is on the chilly side for angels, I keep my angels at 80. Are you saying that you took one of two heaters out and the remaining heater is a 200 watt heater and it can’t keep a 55 gal. at 82? If so it sounds like that heater might not be working properly. 200 watts should do the job unless your tank is outside in a snowstorm. I would definately get another heater.

Sj45 02-23-2009 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzAz (Post 174735)
I think that could be the problem, that much of a change will cause stress to the fish. plus I think 76 is on the chilly side for angels, I keep my angels at 80. Are you saying that you took one of two heaters out and the remaining heater is a 200 watt heater and it canít keep a 55 gal. at 82? If so it sounds like that heater might not be working properly. 200 watts should do the job unless your tank is outside in a snowstorm. I would definately get another heater.

It is about 60F downstairs, but yes, I didn't think it was working properly...I never let it run dry, and followed the instructions when installing though.

aunt kymmie 02-23-2009 12:42 AM

My home is 60 degrees most of the time. I responded to your PM...keep me posted!

FuzzAz 02-23-2009 12:56 AM

My water also has a ph of 8.2 and it has not proven to be a problem. your fish load is low, still the nitrates should not be 0, maybe not cycled yet?

Sj45 02-23-2009 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzAz (Post 174743)
My water also has a ph of 8.2 and it has not proven to be a problem. your fish load is low, still the nitrates should not be 0, maybe not cycled yet?

Woops...honestly...my nitrates are at 5.0 not 0, that was a mistake.

I don't think that has anything to do w/ the angels acting strange though.

Thank you for noticing that.

Sj45 02-23-2009 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 174741)
My home is 60 degrees most of the time. I responded to your PM...keep me posted!

Thank you aunt kymmie, brrr, that's cold.

Burninator 02-23-2009 02:50 AM

probably stressed the hell out

If someone was using a pocket knife to slowly take off my extremities, i would probably be in a shock for a while.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2