Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Mystery Snail Baby ...... Where did you come from? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/mystery-snail-baby-where-did-you-21554/)

Bethaliz 02-22-2009 12:43 PM

Mystery Snail Baby ...... Where did you come from?

Hey Guys,

I have 2 tanks. A 5 gallon tank housing a yellow mystery snail and a male Betta, a couple plastic plants and a castle, nothing spectacular. I also have 10 gallon tank I wanted to make it a tank for female bettas. I do not plan to breed them, I just like the assortment of colours and variety. This tank has been up for several months. I decided to try my hand a live plants, which has turned out great! I got a couple cheep gold fish to cycle the tank, but some how they mysteriously lived (the only fish I ever bought that I didn't care if they lived. lol). Anyway the Female bettas had to be moved over to the 10 gallon when my male betta arrived and they all seem to be living together quite nicely.

Apparently I was giving the plant too much light because I had a lot of algea. I bought an algea eater and on the advice of the fish expert I reduced the amount of time the light is on. So it's really kind of of odd 2 gold fish 3 bettas, an algea eater all getting along just great.

Anyway, I notice recently that there are little green plant like things growing on the gravel. I dosen't look like the algea I was getting before and the algea eater is not getting rid of it. So I went last week to the pet store and bought a black mystery snail. As I don't have that problem in the tank with the other snail.

Anyway, I think I got a dead snail because it never moved. I left it there for a couple of days just in case it was shocked or something. Never had that problem with my other snail, but who knows. Anyway I finally got rid of it. And transfered my thriving snail from the 5 gallon to the 10, 2 days ago. However I was doing my weekly water change yadda yadda and low and behold on the little bridge is a tiny black mystery snail. I have no idea how it got there. I know that they lay eggs. So the dead snail couldn't be the source. it never moved to lay eggs and its a bit too big to be a new born. My plant has been in the tank for months, so you'd think that if their were eggs on it they'd have hatched before and they'd be more than one. It can't have come from my other tank because there's only ever been one snail in there. There are no eggs in it and no baby snails.

I'm stumbed. either way, what do you do with a baby snail. Do I feed it differently? Should I take it out so the fish don't eat it until its a bit bigger?

Lupin 02-22-2009 05:23 PM

Get the snail out of the tank. Are you sure it is indeed a mystery snail? Please post some pics. How can you tell it is? FYI, there is no such thing as "black" mystery snail. That color is basically made up as the actual colors turn out to be dark striped purple or dark striped green (wild) in the end. It is possible the mystery snail hid itself by latching on adult snails. I had baby canas invading my mystery snail tanks without remembering when they have possibly gone there until it occured to me I placed my male cana there to stop him from harassing my female canas.

Baby snails are fed with soft foods. Snail jello, reptile granules and seaweeds work. So do blanched veggies.

Bethaliz 02-23-2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 174600)
Get the snail out of the tank. Are you sure it is indeed a mystery snail? Please post some pics. How can you tell it is? FYI, there is no such thing as "black" mystery snail. That color is basically made up as the actual colors turn out to be dark striped purple or dark striped green (wild) in the end. It is possible the mystery snail hid itself by latching on adult snails. I had baby canas invading my mystery snail tanks without remembering when they have possibly gone there until it occured to me I placed my male cana there to stop him from harassing my female canas.

Baby snails are fed with soft foods. Snail jello, reptile granules and seaweeds work. So do blanched veggies.

Should I simply house the snail in a jar/bowl until its bigger witht he same water routine I have with my other fish?

As for being certian its a mystery snail, I'm not really sure. It's a snail to be sure, it's about the size of the head on a beaded straight pin. It's black it has a shell, looks just like my gold mystery snail only smaller and black. I"ll try to get pictures of it and post it in the next day or so. Now I have to try and find it in there again. 10 gallons is a lot of room. lol
blanched veggies?? like cucumber or something?

Lupin 02-23-2009 03:28 AM

It sounds like a pouch snail (Physas sp.) to me. These snails don't require too much care.

Bethaliz 02-23-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 174788)
It sounds like a pouch snail (Physas sp.) to me. These snails don't require too much care.

What's the difference between a pouch snail and a mystery snail? Either way I can't seem to find it there today. It could be hiding and I'm not really intersted in uprooting my whole tank to find it. If it re-emerges I'll take it out and find somewhere else to keep it until it gets bigger

Lupin 02-24-2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bethaliz (Post 175040)
What's the difference between a pouch snail and a mystery snail? Either way I can't seem to find it there today. It could be hiding and I'm not really intersted in uprooting my whole tank to find it. If it re-emerges I'll take it out and find somewhere else to keep it until it gets bigger

Pouch snail
http://www.stopactionphoto.net/images/snailsnew5.jpg