Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Snail Help? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/snail-help-21535/)

veganchick 02-21-2009 10:17 PM

Snail Help?

Ok, so I have this snail (I have no earthly idea what kind he is, he was just in the bag with the other snail that I bought today, and I kept him. He is only about a sixth the size of my fingernail. Does anyone know how long it takes for snails to grow? Also, He is in an empty 1 gallon tank because Idk what to do with him. Do you think that will be an ok temporary home? Thanks! :-P

Lupin 02-21-2009 11:49 PM

Please post pic of the snail for ID before someone says they'll be fine in an uncycled tank or not.

FordMan 02-22-2009 12:10 AM

why seperate it i mean you could deffinately stick it in with one of your betta;s i mean rule of thumb if the fish are surviving in the water the snail can dig it too especially on the short term i e acid tanks can erode some snails shells.

Cody 02-22-2009 01:25 AM

Some bettas will attack snails. Especially ones that are as small as this.

FordMan 02-22-2009 01:30 AM

thats why they have shells

Cody 02-22-2009 01:35 AM

It is called having antenna, eyes, and lung siphon (?)(I have no idea what it is called; Lupin?).

aunt kymmie 02-22-2009 01:47 AM

Cody- Thanks alot for reminding me about that picture I saw of the poor snail that was missing his one eye & antenna. :-( I think it was one of Lupin's. I'm just happy my loaches suck them right out of their shells.
My betta likes to attack the little snails that show up in his tank (never have figured out where they are coming from) but these little guys close up in their shells right away. Maybe it depends on the type of snail? IDK...

Lupin 02-22-2009 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordMan (Post 174370)
thats why they have shells

Shells alone will not suffice. Unfortunately, apple snails despite having shells for protection are still vulnerable to attacks. So are pouch snails and ramshorns. Their lack of trapdoors is also evident to how loaches and assassin snails can easily suck them out. Puffers can crush their shells. Bettas can easily suck them out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody (Post 174374)
It is called having antenna, eyes, and lung siphon (?)(I have no idea what it is called; Lupin?).

Not lung siphon. It's breathing siphon that passes to their lungs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 174379)
Cody- Thanks alot for reminding me about that picture I saw of the poor snail that was missing his one eye & antenna. :-( I think it was one of Lupin's. I'm just happy my loaches suck them right out of their shells.
My betta likes to attack the little snails that show up in his tank (never have figured out where they are coming from) but these little guys close up in their shells right away. Maybe it depends on the type of snail? IDK...

Aunt Kymmie, I don't have snails that are missing eyestalks and antennaes but they can regenerate those missing parts except for aesthetic reasons, they are smaller than the original ones.

veganchick 02-22-2009 11:20 AM

Hes way too small to go with my betta yet, I haven't even put any substrate in there cuz I'm afraid I won't be able to find him! lol!

aunt kymmie 02-22-2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 174382)
Aunt Kymmie, I don't have snails that are missing eyestalks and antennaes but they can regenerate those missing parts except for aesthetic reasons, they are smaller than the original ones.

Sorry Lupin, I know you would never have snails missing body parts. For some reason I thought you had posted a pic of one missing parts as an example of what could happen. I did see a pic of it somewhere and it was not a pretty sight.