Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Fine Mechanical Filtration (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/fine-mechanical-filtration-2152/)

jones57742 12-29-2006 01:46 PM

Fine Mechanical Filtration
 
Folks:

Based on the PM's with BB and I concerning my experimentation this thread has been generated.

Many months ago when I was "fighting algae" and I do not mean "a little on the rocks" as I am talking about the "real thing":

1st)
Very fine algae appeared on the rear wall of the tank.
Very fine algae appeared on the clear acrylic walls of the tank.

2nd)
Diatom or Radiolaria Colonies began appearing on the tank walls.
Very, very dense algae began appearing on the tank walls.

3rd)
I could not see my plants' leaves near the perimeter of tank due to the hair algae.
Algae bloom occurred (this bloom was of such an order of magnitude that I could see was 2" into my tank).

I undertook several courses of remediation (changes to the ecosystem)y but this thread concerns mechanical media (I have a wet/dry filtration system and am not familiar with other filtration systems).

1) I cut up "quilt batting" and placed it above the bio balls:
Minimal joy:
Crispy critter pump because I did not change the media "soon enough" and
Very little minimization of the algae bloom.

2) Purchased 50Mu media, cut it up and placed it below the quilt batting.
Some joy.
Changed the laminate every 6 hours and some joy: algae bloom decreased (as i noted above other changes were being made to the ecosystem).

3) Purchased 100Mu media, placed it between the quilt batting and the 50 Mu media. Significant joy wrt algae bloom but had another "crispy critter" pump.

What I now do is laminate the "blue and white" foam, the quilt batting, the 100Mu media and the 50Mu media.

Two Items)

1) I believed that this media would last for 24 hours. Not joy - Crisper Critter pump.

2) When I now observe particulate matter in the tank watter or otherwise least impurity I employ the above stated lamination and change the media every 12 hours.

TR

Nick 12-29-2006 02:22 PM

I'm sorry but I didnt really understand one bit of that....Ahhh :?

crazie.eddie 12-29-2006 02:42 PM

What kind of algae were you having problems with?

dprUsh83 12-29-2006 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick
I'm sorry but I didnt really understand one bit of that....Ahhh :?

+1 :shock:

musho3210 12-29-2006 02:59 PM

i didnt really understand it but you should put in some snail or shrimp to eat the algae

crazie.eddie 12-29-2006 05:03 PM

(Message deleted by poster)

joeshmoe 12-29-2006 05:11 PM

make that 4 dp :?

jones57742 12-30-2006 08:38 AM

Re: Fine Mechanical Filtration
 
Folks:

1st Item: Yall cannot believe the "gunk" which is present in crystal clear tank water!
This photograph indicates the accumulation of "gunk" on 50Mu media during a 12 hour period.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...a/Mvc-004l.jpg


Folks:

It was not my intent to cause confusion or commotion.

Some of this probably comes from my virtual complete lack of knowledge of filtration methods other than wet/dry (ie. HOB or Cannister [although I do have a nice Eheim which I have used once for a "last ditch" backup and also use infrequently for filtration of the water in the 2nd chamber of my sump]).

I will try this again and add photographs as the information may of use to some members of the forum.
Questions or input please as we may all learn from them.


Quote:

Originally Posted by jones57742
Folks:
Based on the PM's with BB and I concerning my experimentation this thread has been generated.

In the PM's I indicated to BB that over the last eight months I had "experimented" with several aspects of fish keeping.
We believed that publication of this information might be useful and allow her to add her, as well as other folks to add their, knowledge resulting in synergism.


The following is the "lead in" as to why I "got into" experimentation with fine mechanical media filtration (dealing with "serious" algae in my tank).
Quote:

Originally Posted by jones57742
Many months ago when I was "fighting algae" and I do not mean "a little on the rocks" as I am talking about the "real thing":

1st)
Very fine algae appeared on the rear wall of the tank.
Very fine algae appeared on the clear acrylic walls of the tank.

2nd)
Diatom or Radiolaria Colonies began appearing on the tank walls.
Very, very dense algae began appearing on the tank walls.

3rd)
I could not see my plants' leaves near the perimeter of tank due to the hair algae.
Algae bloom occurred (this bloom was of such an order of magnitude that I could see was 2" into my tank).


In this paragraph I am indicating that remediation, in addition to the induction of fine filtration media, was employed.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jones57742
I undertook several courses of remediation (changes to the ecosystem)y but this thread concerns mechanical media (I have a wet/dry filtration system and am not familiar with other filtration systems).


In the following paragraphs I am setting forth the various media and laminations thereof which I tried while experimenting (Mu=>Micron).
{laminating=>bonding layers together: to bond sheets or layers together so as to produce a composite material}
(The reference to "crispy critter" pump is to burning up the pump external to the sump in the wet/dry filtration method)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jones57742
1) I cut up "quilt batting" and placed it above the bio balls:
Minimal joy:
Crispy critter pump because I did not change the media "soon enough" and
Very little minimization of the algae bloom.

2) Purchased 50Mu media, cut it up and placed it below the quilt batting.
Some joy.
Changed the laminate every 6 hours and some joy: algae bloom decreased (as i noted above other changes were being made to the ecosystem).

3) Purchased 100Mu media, placed it between the quilt batting and the 50 Mu media. Significant joy wrt algae bloom but had another "crispy critter" pump.

I am stating below the findings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jones57742
What I now do is laminate the "blue and white" foam, the quilt batting, the 100Mu media and the 50Mu media.

Two Items)

1) I believed that this media would last for 24 hours. Not joy - Crisper Critter pump.

2) When I now observe particulate matter in the tank watter or otherwise least impurity I employ the above stated lamination and change the media every 12 hours.

TR

The following photographs are photographs of my two chamber sump and the external pump:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...h/Mvc-005l.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...h/Mvc-007l.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...h/Mvc-006l.jpg

The following photographs are of the fine filtration media which have been laminated subsequent to being utilized for 12 hours:
1) Quilt Batting
2) 100Mu Media
3) 50Mu Media
4) 50Mu Media

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...Mvc-001l-8.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...Mvc-002l-7.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...Mvc-003l-3.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...Mvc-004l-2.jpg

TR


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2