Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/)
-   -   How many fish can I put in my tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/how-many-fish-can-i-put-21511/)

NemoFan 02-21-2009 11:47 AM

How many fish can I put in my tank?

I am not quite sure where to put this but I have a 10 gallon aquarium with two clowns. I was told that that number was fine for clowns, but then I saw a Mandarin Goby at the pet store. The people at the pet shop said that it would probably be OK to put it in the tank if I got a second filter( one that hangs over that back so it doesn't take up aquarium space). Is that alright? I will post pictures of my tank later today on my aquarium log thing. Please let me know what you think. 8)

Kellsindell 02-21-2009 02:07 PM

Welcome to the forum!

I think that the 2 Clowns you have is pushing your bio-load. You don't have a big enough tank for anything else.

aunt kymmie 02-21-2009 02:09 PM

Aren't Mandarins considered one of the more difficult species to keep??

Kellsindell 02-21-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 174142)
Aren't Mandarins considered one of the more difficult species to keep??

Very much so. There are many reasons why you should have it in the such a small tank and i only gave the obvious, but since you asked...

Mandarins require a food called copepods. They really don't eat anything else. The only way to ensure they have enough to eat is by either getting live copepods from a vendor and dosing the tank periodically, which will get very expensive over a short period of time, or to have at very minimun 75lbs of LR per mandarin. Some even suggest you use 200lbs for each mandarin, but that's a bit high IMHO.

Yes, your bio-load is high enough with just the 2 clowns you have now and i don't suggest you put any more fish in there, but also you need to research before you purchase. I'm very glad you didn't buy it and then ask... good job NemoFan!:welldone:

NemoFan 02-21-2009 04:48 PM

Thank you, now I heard I could put a lot of invertebrates into to tank though like skunk cleaners and such is that true? Also what would an extra filter do for me?

Pasfur 02-21-2009 08:56 PM

I am really getting in a mood tonight on these threads. Would somebody please make a trip to this LFS, grab said employee by the ear lobe, drag them to the nearest public aquarium, and throw them in with the sharks.

Lets see how to put this politely....
The LFS employee you were talking to is a total idiot who has almost no knowledge whatsoever about saltwater fish or filtration systems. Not only is the mandarin a sure bet to quickly die in a 10 gallon aquarium, the addition of a hang on filter will do nothing to help the cause, other than put a few extra bucks in the cash register.

Wow. This really has my blood boiling. Are we allowed to post names and phone numbers of LFS? I'd like to make a phone call.

ThalesthePearsei 02-22-2009 01:58 AM

Mandarins are difficult to care for. They are not your typical easy brine shrimp eating reef fish. They need a bigger well established tank with plenty of live rock, as they graze on tiny organisms that live on the rock, hence the bigger tank size so they wont eat off the entire population of copepods in the tank and then slowly starve to death because there is nothing left to eat. Some mandarins will eat brine...but I wouldn't believe it unless you SEE it, but most will not.
I have not trusted a LFS employee since one told me that I could have a Queen Angel in my 30 gallon that I had at the time. Ridiculous.

onefish2fish 02-22-2009 10:04 AM

agreed with everything stated. tank is maxed.

Bispinosa 03-07-2009 01:08 PM

I remember buying a Mandarin Goby when I was a teenager...stuck it in my 29gal, it died in four days. Poor critter was probably already starving when I bought him.

I agree with the posters above on the fact that Mandarins need big tanks and lots of live rock. I encountered an article recently that said that one aquarist managed to transition his (whether he did this once or many times I forget) by feeding live foods and mixing in frozen shrimp while gradually decreasing the amount of live food each feeding, and eventually the Mandarin Goby got used to just taking the frozen food. I've considered striking up a deal with one of my LFS to try this out...pay them to hold the fish for me and try to transition it...

It's an amazing fish, but these little guys take a lot to keep. Ever consider a tank upgrade? I don't know what your finances are like, but bigger is better if your wallet and space allow. :)

Kellsindell 03-07-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bispinosa (Post 178223)
It's an amazing fish, but these little guys take a lot to keep. Ever consider a tank upgrade? I don't know what your finances are like, but bigger is better if your wallet and space allow. :)

that's not always true, i've got a 2.5g tank going and i'm going to make it blow peoples minds when i'm done ;-)