Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Calming down my very pissed off Male Platy (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/calming-down-my-very-pissed-off-21502/)

Norma 02-21-2009 12:32 AM

Calming down my very pissed off Male Platy

Hello, this is my first post as I'm quite new to the fish world. It's been 2 months since I bought a 10 gal tank, with a red male platy (survivor), a golden molly (deceased), and a tetra (deceased). I also added 2 shadow cory cats (survivors) 1 week after getting the 3 above. So this week, I bought 2 female red platy's for my male platy. One is pretty young and vibrant and the other is just a bit smaller than my male one. Well he is pissed off and chasing them all over the place. He won't leave them alone. They're hiding everywhere and crowding under the heater these two days......Until tonight!!! I don't know if I made a huge mistake, but I got pretty pissed off myself and I put him in a nylon fry hanging tank inside the same tank. It's about 5x6x6 inches and he's hanging out in the corner. He was so peaceful and calm before, but the reason I got him more fish is because I thought he'd be even happier since I heard they are part schooling fish. What do you think I should do? For tonight, I'll leave him in the net so all could get some rest.

aspects 02-21-2009 12:49 AM

sounds like hes trying to establish himself as the alpha in the tank. just make sure you provide them enough places to hide from eachother and it should be fine.

Fishcricker 02-21-2009 09:37 AM

He is probably just trying to breed with them. Mother Nature Rules.

Norma 02-23-2009 12:28 AM

I think you're both right. I let him out of the Fish Fry net the next morning and not a minute passed until he started at them again. He chased them in a very angry manner and made them dart all over the place.... until today when I put him in the net again. I think I"m going to donate him back to the fish store since I'd like many fish in my tank at this point and it's either him or many. I'm thinking of buying 2-3 more female platy's this following week after I take him back or give him to my neighbor. Do you think 5 female platy's would be fine together? I like red.

mitcore 02-24-2009 12:31 AM

i would leave them be, let them sort it out and then things will calm down,
he is just trying to show who is boss

watts300 02-28-2009 12:15 AM

Dominant fish are weird.
Two of my fish are mollies -- one balloon and one marble. They get along like peas and carrots... until it's dinner time.

Then the balloon molly goes bonkers and tries really hard to keep the other from getting any food. It's definitely a molly thing, because there's also a loach in the tank that gets to eat in peace.
I even took a video of it. <-Click.
The video is a little obsolete though, no loach and I'm moving them to a larger tank.

finsNfur 03-01-2009 11:08 AM

I have four new platies in my 29g; one pair I bought a week ago, and the second pair I bought two days ago. The female from the first pair immediately went at ALL the platies after I introduced the second pair. Previously she was very docile, but now she's very aggressive. I did do a water check, and my ammonia level had spiked a bit after adding the second pair, so I did a partial water change. Today she's calmer. You might want to check your water params if you haven't already, just to be sure you don't have an ammonia spike. Sometimes fish will act strangely if that happens. Good luck! In my case, if the female acts up regularly, I will take her back to the LFS and exchange her.