Tropical Fish Keeping banner

C02 alternatives?

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  cerianthus 
#1 ·
I have a DIY yeast C02 generator but im having a TREMENDOUS problem with it in my 10 gallon tank. I cant seem to find a good diffuser to blend it in the tank. Is their an alternative i can use instead of c02? what about Seachem Flourish Excel? could that take the place of a c02 generator?

#2 ·
I use flourish excel in a low light planted 15 gallon tank and it works great. If you have high light plants, I'm not sure, but I don't think it would be sufficient. I'm no expert though.

#3 ·
I just use Excel as well. Besides the problem you are having, you normally don't want to inject CO2 at night. With the DIY version you can't stop that (or at least, not very easily). The only drawback to Excel is it doesn't work for all plants. But it's a lot easier and cleaner to use than DIY CO2.

#4 ·
yeah, i heard that excel tends to disturb plants like anacharis and java moss. I cant seem to find it though. Pet stores around here sell it but by the time i get there, its gone 0_0 lol i just found a good way to diffuse. I just bought a wood airstone that makes the bubbles so fine that they dissolve completely before they reach the surface :)

#5 ·
I use Flourish excel and my plants are growing well.

#6 ·
I have a DIY yeast C02 generator but im having a TREMENDOUS problem with it in my 10 gallon tank. I cant seem to find a good diffuser to blend it in the tank. Is their an alternative i can use instead of c02? what about Seachem Flourish Excel? could that take the place of a c02 generator?
CO2 is going to be the cheapest long term option. What are you using to dissolve the CO2 now, describe your generator setup, and what is your current CO2 level in ppm.

#9 ·
I read that you can make the CO2 go through the filter and the filter will slowly disperse the CO2 through the water over time. I may be wrong though let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.