Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Guppies keep hemorrhaging! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/guppies-keep-hemorrhaging-214978/)

PersonalityUnknown 06-27-2013 03:29 PM

Guppies keep hemorrhaging!

So I posted on Bettafish.com to see if they had any advice for me upon hemorrhages but they keep attacking my stock selection. My stock selection is NOT my issue or else I would have traded my fish back to my store for something else. Hemorrhaging is my issue and I need to find out how to remedy it.

My first batch of female guppies all hemorrhaged and died within a week of having them. Both my males didn't show any signs of sickness after everything was said and done. Now, a few weeks later, it's starting again with guppies I bought at another store. So far I only see one of the females with obvious hemorrhage spots and I'm really worried about the rest of my tank. This is my first illness I'm dealing with in my own personal tank. )=

WHEN I HAD MY FIRST BATCH OF FEMALE GUPPIES THERE WAS NO ONE ELSE IN MY TANK. 4/5 females hemorrhaged and died within a week of having them. My 2 males were fine and 1 female guppy was not affected. Now I have my tank fully stocked when I bought another 5 females. Only 1 of them has bloody spots speckled over her small body (she's a young one). Everyone's fins are PRISTINE other than the 2 males I have before the nippy female guppy was quarantined. So attacks don't seem like a viable option to attack in my opinion.

Tank stats:
29g, semi planted w/ driftwood.
Gravel substrate
~86 degree F
Tank age: Approx 3 weeks

Stock:
6 female Guppies
2 Male guppies
3 Female Bettas
1 Male betta
2 Ghost Shrimp
1 Bamboo shrimp
2 Clown Loaches
1 Fancytail Goldfish (Rescue)

What should I do to remedy this? What medication should I use to treat my tank since it seems to be something living in my water thanks to my first batch of guppies that had it...

ZivaD 06-27-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PersonalityUnknown (Post 2423546)
So I posted on Bettafish.com to see if they had any advice for me upon hemorrhages but they keep attacking my stock selection. My stock selection is NOT my issue or else I would have traded my fish back to my store for something else. Hemorrhaging is my issue and I need to find out how to remedy it.

My first batch of female guppies all hemorrhaged and died within a week of having them. Both my males didn't show any signs of sickness after everything was said and done. Now, a few weeks later, it's starting again with guppies I bought at another store. So far I only see one of the females with obvious hemorrhage spots and I'm really worried about the rest of my tank. This is my first illness I'm dealing with in my own personal tank. )=

WHEN I HAD MY FIRST BATCH OF FEMALE GUPPIES THERE WAS NO ONE ELSE IN MY TANK. 4/5 females hemorrhaged and died within a week of having them. My 2 males were fine and 1 female guppy was not affected. Now I have my tank fully stocked when I bought another 5 females. Only 1 of them has bloody spots speckled over her small body (she's a young one). Everyone's fins are PRISTINE other than the 2 males I have before the nippy female guppy was quarantined. So attacks don't seem like a viable option to attack in my opinion.

Tank stats:
29g, semi planted w/ driftwood.
Gravel substrate
~86 degree F
Tank age: Approx 3 weeks

Stock:
6 female Guppies
2 Male guppies
3 Female Bettas
1 Male betta
2 Ghost Shrimp
1 Bamboo shrimp
2 Clown Loaches
1 Fancytail Goldfish (Rescue)

What should I do to remedy this? What medication should I use to treat my tank since it seems to be something living in my water thanks to my first batch of guppies that had it...

There are several issues in the information provided above - unfortunately, everything that is jumping out at me (the temp, the mixing of goldfish and tropicals, fish ill-suited to the size tank you have, your stocking selections in general, the fact that you have this much stock in a 3 week old tank, etc) is going to be what you don't want to hear. However, in spite of your assertion that your stocking is NOT an issue, I must beg to differ.
Please provide the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate numbers.

Romad 06-27-2013 07:36 PM

What jumped out at me right away is the temperature in that tank. 86 is too high. Start with slowly lowering your temp to somewhere in the mid to higher 70s.

Was the tank cycled prior to adding fish? And agree with Ziva that you should test the water for ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte, PH.

PersonalityUnknown 06-27-2013 11:37 PM

I did a 50% water change and added AQ salt + stress coat plus another dose of bacteria. I also lowered the temp. My heater says 76 but my thermometer says it's still in the 80's. I'll lower it again tomorrow morning then see what's what when I get home from work.

I'll be taking a sample of water to work with me to test my water. I'll post test results as soon as I can.

Just to clarify, I don't care if you say if it's stock related. If it is, it is. Nothing I can do other than trade my fish to the store I work for for something better suited. My issue was people attacking my stock options when I wanted an answer for my fish hemorrhaging. I understand that it's not kosher, it's highly not recommended but I am experimenting. I keep a very close eye on all my fish, their behavior and habbits. I notice any little thing wrong with my fish and I immediately ask someone more experienced for advice. I don't wait for weeks to roll by then go "oh, well ****.". If anything goes wrong in my tank, I'll notice it within a few days if I don't catch it right away.

From what I've seen from all of my fish is normal behavior of any community fish. Everyone lives in peace, the female betta's do their thing, my male betta stays on display 98% of the time within the first two inches of the front of the tank and my guppies and loaches stick to their respective [gender] groups with the random male guppy going "EY BEBE HOW U DOIN" If I see ANY true aggression or stress in my fish, I'd IMMEDIATELY quarantine them and exchange him/her for something more suited.

Edit: My tank wasn't cycled in the very beginning when I added the 5 guppies, I was originally doing an in-tank cycle but then I did get a little over zealous and had to buy the new Fluval cycle stater stuff. My cycle is still establishing, I kinda doubt it's 100% just yet.

Giri 06-28-2013 12:00 AM

Hey there, I just coming in to see if maybe I can help a bit.

There is this form that is really helpful to communicate what exactly is going on in your tank. You provided some very good information to start with, but this will help keep things cohesive. Will you please fill it out?

1. Size of tank?
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia?
b. Nitrite?
c. Nitrate?
d. pH, KH and GH?
e. Test kit?
3. Temperature?
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)?
5. How long the aquarium has been set up?
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants?
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom?
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors?
9. a. Filtration?
b. Heater?
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used?
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long?
11. a. Water change schedule?
b. Volume of water changed?
c. Well water, tap water, RO water?
d. Water conditioner used?
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed?
12. Foods?
How often are they fed?
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?
b. Appearance of poop?
c. Appearance of gills?
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis?
b. What meds were used?
15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.

We recognize that you are experimenting with your tank,and you seem very adamant about keeping it as is. No one here is going to jump down your throat about your stocking choices.However, people do feel very strongly about stocking concerns,so don't be surprised if people voice these concerns because they can greatly affect the entire health of your tank. However, why don't we lay that issue to rest until we get the hemorrhaging fish concern out of the way?

PersonalityUnknown 06-28-2013 08:14 AM

Thank you, Giri.

1. 29g
2. ~TO BE EDITED WHEN I HAVE THE RESULTS~
a. Ammonia?
b. Nitrite?
c. Nitrate?
d. pH
e. API Freshwater liquid
3. heater says 76, thermometer says 84
4. Fresh
5. Approx 3 weeks
6. 2 smaller female Guppies, 4 grown female guppies, 2 grown male guppies, 2 smaller female bettas, 1 grown female betta, 1 grown male betta, 1 fancytail goldfish ~1", 2 clown loaches ~2"
7. Err... straight into the tank after floating? :x
8. a. Live and fake plants
b. Gravel
c. Driftwood x2, med-large castle
9. a. Aqueon quiteflow 30
b. Elite
10. a. Approx 11hrs of light, standard Aqueon Power Glo
b. No direct sunlight
11. a. No set schedule.. So far 20% per week plus this 50% I did yesterday
b. Volume of water changed?
c. Tap
d. Stress Coat
e. once a month
12. Tetramin crisps, twice a day
13. a. Hemorrhaging & discolored patch on skin that kinda looks like it could be slowly rotting away
b. long & brown
c. Everyone seems healthy, gillwise.
14. a. Not particularly.
b. Aquarium Salt
15. http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws...0a1faf50_7.jpg (She's the female in the back)

Video of the entire tank:
Video by personalityunknown • Instagram

PersonalityUnknown 06-28-2013 02:43 PM

Tested my water:
Ph 6.7
Ammonia 1ppm-2ppm
Nitrite and nitrates are zero.

Ill be doing a 90% water change when I get home. I can only imagine what my ammonia was at before yesterday's change :(
Posted via Mobile Device

Romad 06-28-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PersonalityUnknown (Post 2429474)
Tested my water:
Ph 6.7
Ammonia 1ppm-2ppm
Nitrite and nitrates are zero.

Ill be doing a 90% water change when I get home. I can only imagine what my ammonia was at before yesterday's change :(
Posted via Mobile Device

Ugh! A good thing would be to use Seachem Prime water conditioner. It renders ammonia harmless to your fish for 24 hours or so. Use it at triple the dose and keep up with water changes until you get that ammonia under control.

Keep swimming :)

Agent13 06-28-2013 05:56 PM

If the stocking is something you really don't want to change you probably will need to double up your filtration because that tank is overstocked. Water quality may be an ongoing issue with everyone in there...especially as the Clown loaches grow up to as much as 1 foot long.

ZivaD 06-28-2013 05:58 PM

Google HEMORRHAGIC SEPTICEMIA and see if that is what you are seeing on your fish (it seems that the top fish in your picture is the most effected, but is also the hardest to see clearly so you might be better able to tell)