Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Lighting and ph (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/lighting-ph-21491/)

lowco1 02-20-2009 08:09 PM

Lighting and ph

so for a cichlid tank what is a good light bulb to use I have a flouresent set up but do I use the aquaglow bulbs? and is the ph 8.0 good to use it is one of those chems that u put into the tank to keep a constant ph level. and do you feed them live feeder fish occasionally. the cichlids that i am looking at are mbuna from lake malawi. also is it ok to put other fish in with them like a cat, a pleco, some snails and shrimp, and also maybe a red tail shark?

invictusmaneo 02-21-2009 11:57 AM

youve asked the same questions repeatedly. just wait for responses in one of the other threads--I already answered most of these questions. and FWIW--all Mbuna are from lake malawi

avoid the feeder fish--mbuna dont process protein very well and wont do well with that many things to digest at once. stick to a maily algae/spirulina diet and you'll be fine..throw in veggies every once in awhle

adpierin11 02-21-2009 02:11 PM

Do not use any chemicals to higher pH. You'll have a much big mess on your hands trying to keep the pH high with chemicals than just leaving it be. Many fish can live in lower pH levels and be fine.
I suggest getting some crushed coral, and putting it in your filter, that will naturally raise the pH, texas holey rock will also higher the pH and limestone will too. You have plenty of options of keeping the pH at a stable rate other than chemicals.

laeclaserind 02-25-2009 05:21 PM

I agree with avoiding pH chemicals, they tend cause a rapid change in pH which fish definitely don't like, and once you raise the pH with a buffer of some sort, it will be near impossible to bring it back down if you go too high. My LFS recommended I use a buffer to raise my pH a while back, messed up a lot of stuff, do it naturally if necessary

iamntbatman 03-02-2009 02:11 PM

so for a cichlid tank what is a good light bulb to use I have a flouresent set up but do I use the aquaglow bulbs?

Well, you aren't really going to keep any live plants in this tank (your mbuna will eat them) so the bulbs don't really matter. Just get whatever you like the look of. Some people like the look of actinics in Malawi tanks.

and is the ph 8.0 good to use it is one of those chems that u put into the tank to keep a constant ph level.

I wouldn't use it. It can be hard to dose correctly in order to really keep a constant pH. Instead, I would just stick with more natural methods such as aragonite or crushed coral substrate, crushed coral in your filter, or rock structures made of limestone or other rock that will keep your water hard and your pH high.

and do you feed them live feeder fish occasionally.

Absolutely not. As others mentioned, these fish mainly eat algae in the wild so meaty foods aren't really good for them. Get a good pellet food designed for mbuna or other freshwater herbivores.

the cichlids that i am looking at are mbuna from lake malawi. also is it ok to put other fish in with them like a cat, a pleco, some snails and shrimp, and also maybe a red tail shark?

I would only add other fish that can tolerate the hard water and high pH of Lake Malawi and are also tough enough to live with aggressive mbuna. This pretty much limits you to one non-cichlid species: Synodontis njassae. You might also have luck with some species of pleco.