Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   will piranha eat feeders that just died? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/will-piranha-eat-feeders-just-died-21476/)

abyssfayth 02-20-2009 12:07 PM

will piranha eat feeders that just died?
 
my baby (size of a nickle or so) red bellys eat a feeder fish that just died? they're attacking the fins of all of the fish except the dead one, should i hurry and get it out or is it okay for them to eat if they will eat it?

i dont want my new pets to get sick from eatting it or leaving it there too long.

onefish2fish 02-20-2009 12:18 PM

i would remove it. even if the feeder didnt die of disease it will spike your water params as it decays. given the condition feeders are kept in they tend to be disease ridden. i do not have experience with piranhas but i believe they can be fed chicken. again i am not sure.

abyssfayth 02-20-2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 173744)
i would remove it. even if the feeder didnt die of disease it will spike your water params as it decays. given the condition feeders are kept in they tend to be disease ridden. i do not have experience with piranhas but i believe they can be fed chicken. again i am not sure.


ok, i guess the feeder was only like 10 cents anyways so i should just pull it out incase.


i dont know if its cause i didnt feed it or what but maybe i should start feeding them? its only been a day since i got them and i figured, why feed them if they're going to be food soon enough?

Tyyrlym 02-20-2009 01:01 PM

Because what your feeders eat the fish who eat the feeders get as well.

If you're going to use feeders I'd highly recommend raising your own. By raising your own you can be assured of the feeders health and ensure they get a varied diet that will help provide your predators with all the nutrients they need.

abyssfayth 02-20-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyyrlym (Post 173765)
Because what your feeders eat the fish who eat the feeders get as well.

If you're going to use feeders I'd highly recommend raising your own. By raising your own you can be assured of the feeders health and ensure they get a varied diet that will help provide your predators with all the nutrients they need.


thanks, im looking into getting my piranhas used to a main diet of hikari shrimp pellets with occasional feeder fish (as a treat) and maybe some white fish or raw shrimp.

fishkid 02-20-2009 04:40 PM

Shrimp pellets are for shrimp. Not made out of them.

aunt kymmie 02-20-2009 04:51 PM

Actually, there are shrimp pellets made of shrimp. I feed them to my loaches and they love them. :-)

fishkid 02-20-2009 05:06 PM

If I remember correctly, Hiikari shrimp pellets are made for shrimp.; I'm talking about the one with the picture of crystal red shrimp on the container.

Tyyrlym 02-23-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abyssfayth (Post 173781)
thanks, im looking into getting my piranhas used to a main diet of hikari shrimp pellets with occasional feeder fish (as a treat) and maybe some white fish or raw shrimp.

Even if they're only occasional treats I'd still raise my own. It only takes one ich infested or virus carrying feeder to cause your fish a lot of harm.

paytheplayer 02-25-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abyssfayth (Post 173781)
thanks, im looking into getting my piranhas used to a main diet of hikari shrimp pellets with occasional feeder fish (as a treat) and maybe some white fish or raw shrimp.

You already have the right idea. I'm glad you already know that feeder fish are only supposed to be fed as a treat once in a while. Some people get caught up in feeder fish, and tend to only want to feed their RBP's feeders so they don't lose their aggressiveness. I have 3 RBP's that are about 6-7 inches now. I've had 2 of them for a little over a year now, and one a little under a year.

You can also buy those shrimp rings too. I thaw a few out, and drop 3 in and they gobble it up quickly, it's one of their faves. But, since yours are still babies, I'm sure they'll only need 1 or 2 at most.

But, as someone has said, I wouldn't let them eat the dead feeder fish. Feeders dont have time to die in my tank these days, but when they were smaller, I would take out the dead fish about an hour after they died.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2