Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Molly Breeding ?'s (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/molly-breeding-s-2147/)

jd254 12-29-2006 02:46 AM

Molly Breeding ?'s

1. Will the male mollies eat the babies?

2. Will most of the baby mollies survive in the original all molly tank?
2a. How do I feed them if so?

3. What filter should I get? I want something that will clean and help with with the nitrogen process.
3a. I also have a spare Eclipse 12. How can I baby proof that filter? On second thought, isn't the filter in the Eclipse tanks safe? I mean, it sucks the water up (along with any baby mollies) and sends it OVER the filter medium and down the bio wheel. What will harm the babies?

4. Can I feed mollies to my red ear sliders?

crazie.eddie 12-29-2006 03:42 AM

Re: Molly Breeding ?'s

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd254
1. Will the male mollies eat the babies?

All fish have natural hunting instict. They may chase the fry, but would not eat them, as long as you provide other foods for the adult fish.

Quote:

2. Will most of the baby mollies survive in the original all molly tank?

Yes, as long as you provide lots of hiding places for the fry. How big is the tank?

Quote:

2a. How do I feed them if so?

You can feed BBS (baby brine shrimp) and fish flake crushed in between your fingers. You can also feed the fine powder normally found on the bottom of your fish food container.

Quote:

3. What filter should I get? I want something that will clean and help with with the nitrogen process.

How big is the tank?

Quote:

3a. I also have a spare Eclipse 12. How can I baby proof that filter? On second thought, isn't the filter in the Eclipse tanks safe? I mean, it sucks the water up (along with any baby mollies) and sends it OVER the filter medium and down the bio wheel. What will harm the babies?

Some suggest using a stocking, but stockings are too delicate and may get cut open and will often get clogged. I like to cut up a fish net and place it over the intake. You can use a rubber band to secure it. I secured mine by sealing it with silicone, which looks like this...
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a25...G_0032WTMK.jpg
Quote:

4. Can I feed mollies to my red ear sliders?

The turtle will eat live fish, so you can see if it will eat the mollies.

jd254 12-29-2006 06:43 AM

it's only a 20 gallon high

oh, i was worried if the mollies may be piosonous to the sliders.

jd254 12-29-2006 11:03 AM

also, if I introduce a male betta into this tank, will it attack the baby fry's?

Nick 12-29-2006 12:56 PM

The chances are of you adding a male betta to the tank and it being peaceful may be slim to none. Your male betta will no doubt kill your other fish in the tank. There Siamese ' fighting ' fish. :D

Nick

crazie.eddie 12-29-2006 03:15 PM

Bettas will only attack other bettas. Some male guppies with large fins and tails look similar to a betta and maybe be attacked as well. They will not attack the adult mollies, but the bettas will probably eat the fry.

I'm not sure if the betta will be safe with the turtle, since turtles do eat fish. With the bettas big, flowing fins, it will not be able to swim fast enough or it's fins may become torn.

Lupin 12-29-2006 10:14 PM

Quote:

oh, i was worried if the mollies may be piosonous to the sliders.

Mollies are not poisonous to turtles. Mollies have been used largely as food for bchirs, aros and other predatory fish. If they were poisonous to turtles, the fish that ate them could have died and I could have reported that my arowana died.:shake:

St6_Devgru 12-30-2006 02:41 AM

my molly is expecting :D
happy new years eve! :demented:

jd254 12-30-2006 07:28 AM

lol who said anything about keeping the betta with my turtle? I'm breeding mollies for turtle food ehheh. hm... ok last questions:

Should I put in a wave maker / powerhead (I was thinking the Power Sweep) to have no stagnent water. My filter would be the H.O.T. Magnum Pro.

Also, anybody thinking having many ghost shrimps on the floor of a heavy plant decorated aquarium is a bad idea? I really like ghost shrimps cuz they would look cool crawling all over the place but I'm afraid for my plants and fries. If that's a problem, think I should just go for clown loach instead?

Lupin 12-30-2006 09:15 AM

Quote:

Also, anybody thinking having many ghost shrimps on the floor of a heavy plant decorated aquarium is a bad idea? I really like ghost shrimps cuz they would look cool crawling all over the place but I'm afraid for my plants and fries. If that's a problem, think I should just go for clown loach instead?

Don't worry too much about the fry. They are very good at escaping predation. Not a bad idea having lots of ghost shrimps.:)
Avoid the clown loaches unless your tank is more than 55 gallons. Even as slow growers, consider the size of more than 12 inches as they grow.