Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Malawi cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/malawi-cichlids-21468/)

lowco1 02-20-2009 12:33 AM

Malawi cichlids

I have finnally decided that I am going to go with Malawi cichlids. So what is everybodies oppinion and info on that kind of cichlid. what is a good temp and ph level and all the stuff like that.

invictusmaneo 02-20-2009 12:06 PM

figure out if they are Mbuna or Haps. The two typically don't mix well. And search for Mbuna. There is plenty on them, and they are a handful. Be flexible and ready to return fish that don't gel with each other because regardless of the planning you do it WILL happen.

78-80 degrees, pH of 8.0-8.4, sometimes some slight salt in the water. stick to a mainly algae based diet and try to get similar sizes, and as few males as possible. preferably 1 male to 3 or 4 females. theres plenty more online

lowco1 02-20-2009 12:11 PM

The ones that I want are mbuna

adpierin11 02-20-2009 06:05 PM

Do as much research as you can on Mbuna, that is always a plus. What size tank are you planning to put them in?
Using a crushed coral substrate will keep the pH high, do not mess with pH up or anything. Keeping the pH at a constant level is more important than keeping it high. Most fish can live in different pH as long as it's constant.
A ratio of 1 male to about 4 females is ideal, so he won't pick on one female and stress her out and kill her. I personally like the idea (my tank is this way) of having all males. I haven't had much aggression with an all male tank and the colors for the males just pop. I highly suggest having an all male tank and with it you would put one male of each species.
Plants aren't necessary for them, and most likely if they are real Mbuna will eat them, so really no point in having plants unless they are fake. I have heard they tend not to eat anubias (i think that's what they are called not a plant expert here).
What type of Mbunas are you looking at? If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

OH AND I ALWAYS SUGGEST A FISHLESS CYCLE!!!

lowco1 02-20-2009 07:34 PM

I am going to put them into a 55gal tank. I like having males and females so that they reproduce. I have another 55gal tank with mollies and danios in it and they all reproduce. I havent fully decided on what kind of mbuna yet. what about those chems that keep the ph at a specific level like ph 8.0. Also can I put different fish with them too like a cat, a pleco, maybe some snails and shrimp and also a red tail shark or is that not a good idea.

lowco1 02-20-2009 07:37 PM

also what is a good diet for them would I feed them smaller feeder fish?

invictusmaneo 02-21-2009 11:54 AM

mixing the fish are NOT a good idea. most you could get away with is a pleco or cat that is a tad larger then the cichlids...

make sure you OVER filter everything...you need crystal clear water for them as they are quite messy. dont mess with chems-as stated use coral or something consistent to raise the pH. it doesn't have to be perfect, as long as its in the high 7s at least and stays consistent.

artificial plants work fine, but dont be surprised if they move them around. and be very very careful when mixing sexes..ensure you don't hve too many males of any one species or similar appearance/species..it will not end up well.

I suggst you spend a few days looking around online at various mbuna topics..there is plenty of info out there. its not that it cant be done but they are a tricky fish and a lot of work but canb e very rewarding..you dont need to ask 100 quetsions when most of the answers are already out there.

adpierin11 02-21-2009 02:14 PM

If you are going to put them in a 55 then I suggest 2 species of fish, about 4 females of each species and 2 males of each species, that will give you 10 fish that get about 5in. +. Be very careful and make sure you only have 2 males total, and the more females the better.