Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   2 Newbee Questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/2-newbee-questions-21440/)

AmyK 02-19-2009 11:18 AM

2 Newbee Questions

Hello. I am planning on starting the cycling process for my first aquarium soon and would like to know if when you first dechlorinate the water should you not add a product that kills ammonia as well, since ammonia is needed to feed the bacteria?

Also, has anyone tried Dr. Tim's One & Only (beneficial bacteria). Is it a good product to add to help shorten the cycling process? (I don't have another tank that I can use gravel from)Thanks!!

1077 02-19-2009 12:16 PM

If you are doing fishless method then dechlorinator is not needed but at the end you will need to dechlorinate the water before adding fish. Can't speak to the product you mentioned , haven't tried it.

AmyK 02-19-2009 12:45 PM

1077 - Won't the chlorinated water kill all my good bacteria?
Thanks.

Amphitrite 02-19-2009 12:51 PM

Dechlorinator won't kill off the good bacteria, it simply makes the water safe for the fish. Don't use an ammonia removing treatment as this will prevent your tank from cycling.

How are you planning on doing the fishless cycle, with ammonia?

AmyK 02-19-2009 01:04 PM

Yes - I was thinking about ammonia. If I can find some without all the added "stuff"!
I only have a 5 gallon and I may put 1 male betta in there. I've also been interested in African Dwarf Frogs, too, but understand a high percentage of the ADF's sold in LFS's have the Chichrid (sp?) fungus. So I may just stick with a betta.

Honestly, the cycling part still has me a little bit intimidated !!

JohnnyD44 02-19-2009 07:17 PM

Don't sweat the cycling process. You did yourself a favor by choosing a fishless cycle, you're saving yourself a alot of water changes. Ammonia is a good way to go.

Here's a link I used when I cycled my tank, it's for a freshwater ammonia cycle....it's pretty straight forward and simple:
Fishless Cycling Made Easy

good luck!

Fishcricker 02-20-2009 01:23 AM

You do not want to add anything to remove the ammonia form your tank, then your tank will not cycle. The ammonia you need for your fishless cycle can be found at ACE Hardware, marketed under their own name.

AmyK 02-20-2009 08:27 AM

Thanks everybody for your help! I think I am gonna take the plunge and order my heater, eco-complete and One & Only today. Wish me luck!!

dramaqueen 02-20-2009 08:43 AM

Good luck, Amy!

Sucidemonkey 02-20-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amphitrite (Post 173330)
Dechlorinator won't kill off the good bacteria, it simply makes the water safe for the fish. Don't use an ammonia removing treatment as this will prevent your tank from cycling.

How are you planning on doing the fishless cycle, with ammonia?

you got confused. 1077 said dont bother dechlorinating the tank. and then the other person asked if you dont dechlorinate it then wont the chlorine kill any of the good bacteria