Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking advice for 30 gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-advice-30-gallon-21439/)

CSGirl 02-19-2009 10:35 AM

Stocking advice for 30 gallon

I'm thinking ahead a little here, I won't be getting my tank til next week, so it'll be a while before I get fish. But I want to know what I'm looking for, because there aren't many good fish stores around here, unfortunately.

First question- I can't put African Dwarf Frogs in a tank that 20" tall, right?

I'm thinking:
2 silver dollar tetras
4 guppies (is that enough? and only male)
1 mystery snail

And eventually a centerpiece fish, probably an angel, maybe a discus. How does that sound?

CSGirl 02-19-2009 11:05 AM

Also, would it be possible to have a betta? Instead of an angel. I know there are some fish that'll nip their fins, but would they be okay with guppies and tetras?

Tyyrlym 02-19-2009 12:47 PM

I'd actually be more worried about what the betta would do to the guppy's fins. A male guppy's bright flowing tail is very likely to tick off a betta.

CSGirl 02-19-2009 01:44 PM

Good point- not worth the risk, I'd think.

So as far as the dwarf frogs- would they be okay in a 20" high tank if there were some high rock formations or shelves?

Tyyrlym 02-19-2009 03:04 PM

I honestly don't know. I have no experience with frogs.

Lupin 02-19-2009 06:30 PM

Don't keep frogs in tall tanks. As for angelfish and discus, neither are suitable either. Discus need to be kept in groups unless you can find a bonafide pair in which case you'll have to get rid of the snail as it will not last long in high temperature. Angels are nippy and will harass the snail to death. If I were you, just focus on show quality guppies and try small plecos such as L010a.

CSGirl 02-19-2009 07:06 PM

What's the problem with an angel, if I wait til the tank has been up a while? And what's wrong with tetras? Also, I wouldn't mind giving up a snail to have some discus- how many would I need? Would a sufficient number make the tank overstocked?

veganchick 02-19-2009 07:10 PM

I think silver dollars are schooling fish, but I'm not sure...

aspects 02-19-2009 07:34 PM

silver dollars are schooling fish, vegan. however you can have just a few. ive dont it both ways with no problems. however, SD will outgrow a 30g tank pretty quick as they will grow to be 6-8" (ive heard rare cases of much larger species).

Lupin 02-19-2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSGirl (Post 173492)
What's the problem with an angel, if I wait til the tank has been up a while? And what's wrong with tetras? Also, I wouldn't mind giving up a snail to have some discus- how many would I need? Would a sufficient number make the tank overstocked?

I gave you my views regarding the angel. One angel or a bonafide pair will work but you'll have to give up the snail and guppies. As for discus, you need to stick with a bonafide pair which will cost you a lot of money. Have you done further study on them? They need your commitment more than any fish.