Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Fish That DON'T JUMP! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/fish-dont-jump-21434/)

veganchick 02-19-2009 08:02 AM

Fish That DON'T JUMP!

are there any small fish that are good with guppies (yes I know, guppies jump) that won't jump out of a fish tank? My 10 gallon has a lid, but there is an opening in between the filter and the hood, and my red tailed shark found a way through there when I was gone, when I came back he was dead on my hardwood floor. Are there any fish for a 10 gallon communit with 2 male guppies that won't jump out of a tank? Also I am going to cover it with netting, I just wanna be on the safe side.

Nudist 02-19-2009 08:57 AM

i'm sorry to hear about your fish.
i know you said you were going to cover it with netting but if that dont work try using duck tape. i bought a used tank that had too many holes cut out for what i needed so i used duck tape to cover the areas that were left open and if you take your time with it you can form it where its so close, nothing could get out of it. if your top is black you can even take a marker and color it where it blends in and is hardly noticeable.

Steve

1077 02-19-2009 09:06 AM

Any of the small tetras should work such as silver tipped, pristellas, blood fins. I like the gold whitecloud minnows. They are a colorful active fish that do well in cooler or warm water. Choose your fish carefully. Look for the healthiest fish you can find.

dramaqueen 02-19-2009 01:35 PM

I'm so sorry about your shark! Fish always seem to find the holes to jump out of. :(

fishkid 02-19-2009 01:56 PM

Dead fish are the only fish that don't jump.

veganchick 02-19-2009 04:28 PM

Thanks guys! I actually decided on makeing a wooden peice and fitting it to my lid so that there is no possible way for my guppies or other fish to get out. Then I'll get maybe some tetras, ghost shrimp and a snail. sound ok?

aspects 02-19-2009 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishkid (Post 173343)

:thumbsup:

just get a good cover.

Cody 02-19-2009 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veganchick (Post 173439)
Thanks guys! I actually decided on makeing a wooden peice and fitting it to my lid so that there is no possible way for my guppies or other fish to get out. Then I'll get maybe some tetras, ghost shrimp and a snail. sound ok?

Be careful with that. Many wood will mold and rot when it meets water, unless sealed, which is harmful to the aquarium. What type of wood did you use?

Lupin 02-19-2009 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishkid (Post 173343)

LMAO!:rofl: :rofl:

Ember tetras.

dramaqueen 02-19-2009 05:43 PM

:lol: lol