Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Cheapest/Best CO2 Diffuser (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/cheapest-best-co2-diffuser-214242/)

FishyFishy89 06-26-2013 03:54 PM

Cheapest/Best CO2 Diffuser

I think I am going to make my own CO2 system for my 75 gallon. I believe I have a general idea on how to make one. What is the cheapest/best CO2 diffuser?

Thanks!

jaysee 06-26-2013 04:03 PM

Its not often you see cheapest and best together like that ;-)

Mikaila31 06-26-2013 04:30 PM

Jaysee right lol.

What type of CO2 system are you planning for? Diffusers all require a certain amount of pressure to operate. Some are low some are high as they are meant for different systems.

FishyFishy89 06-26-2013 04:37 PM

Well, I was going to use 2 2liter bottles/1 smaller bottle(plastic btw) to create my CO2 system. It'll run off an air pump rated for 10 gallons and I also have the 2nd nozzle that is unused on my 75 gallon air pump.

Mikaila31 06-26-2013 05:21 PM

I take it that you are meaning a yeast based CO2 system? They are not very stable. They may work okay for smaller tanks if you stay on top of maintaining them. I'm not sure what the air pump is for? The system will generate its own pressure. If you seal up the bottles very very good with silicone you could probably get away with a small ceramic diffuser. Other then that there is the ladder diffuser option, which is pretty bulky. Or you can run the line into the intake of a internal or external filter and hope the motor mixes it in decently.

FishyFishy89 06-26-2013 06:06 PM

So for a 75 gallon, you wouldn't recommend doing a DIY CO2 generator?

Mikaila31 06-26-2013 06:32 PM

It wouldn't do much, especially if you don't have the light to require extra CO2. Bubblers and surface aggitation are also a no-no with any CO2 injection as it will just drive the CO2 out of the water making injecting it pointless.

JDM 06-26-2013 08:09 PM

Ditto M31. You would need a lot of yeast production to supply a 75 with anything substantial. You would be better to work on an effective fertilization schedule and even then you would have to have the light levels to make that work.

What's your lighting and plants going to be?

Jeff.

FishyFishy89 06-26-2013 09:04 PM

I currently have a ruffle sword, a cabomba that came back to life, a few corkscrew vals, duckweed, salivna, asian water grass, wisteria, water sprite and hygro. I also got a red mystery plant with my new plants http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...please-214194/

I seems that alot of what I read says that even a small amount of CO2 won't hurt and will greatly benefit the plants. I suppose I could turn off the volcano bubbler, I only have it on to keep the floaters away from the HOB.

Mikaila31 06-26-2013 10:32 PM

Turning off the bubbler will help. As JDM said knowing your lighting as well as any fertilization will help in figuring out if you need and would even benefit from CO2. CO2 is not a cure all, it is a single nutrient and usually the last element in a planted tank that will become limiting.

The volcano bubbler and the HOB are both going to actively remove CO2 from the water you would need a true CO2 system to combat using a HOB filter. As JDM also said it will take a lot of yeast and a lot of sugar to make an effect on a 75 gallon, followed by the upkeep that comes with a yeast system. Irregular CO2 levels are just as bad as low CO2 and can encourage algae.

I'm still not sure what you intended to do with the air pump but a yeast CO2 system needs to be tightly sealed. Silicone all connections very well and make sure bottle caps are on tight. The system will slowly generate its own pressure which is used to feed CO2 into the tank.