- - I need help with rocks
|lowco1 ||02-19-2009 12:52 AM |
I need help with rocks
ok so I just bought a used 55 gal tank and it came with rocks that the guy told me that he got from the beaches in hawaii and I was wondering if they are safe to use in the tank for cichlids or do I have to boil the rocks or do I just go out and buy new ones from the store. Also his fish originaly died in the tank so I dont know if that had any thing to do with it. Here are some pics of the rocks I am not going to use the shells. Also what is a good way to get rid of the white stuff around the tank top.
|onefish2fish ||02-19-2009 01:03 AM |
do not boil rocks!
water trapped inside can heat up and explode causing serious injury or death. i would be weary of the fact they came from a beach (possible pollution) and the fact that this persons fish had all died. to play things safe i would check out a landscaping/hardware store. if you really wish to use the rocks your going to want to test to see if they are safe, pouring vinegar or using 1 drop of liquid nitrate test and seeing if it bubbles will let you know if the rocks are good or not. if you dont see bubbles they will work. your going to want to scrub them with a water/bleach solution, soak in water bleach solution, scrub again, rinse, soak in just water then allow them to dry 100%
the white rim around the inside of the glass should come off with alittle vinegar and water and a sponge (make sure its new with no soap) or bleach and water and if its a glass tank using a razor blade helps too just be careful of the silicone edges. after cleaning, rinse and allow the tank to dry 100%
|lowco1 ||02-19-2009 09:25 PM |
so using the bleach and water solution will make them usable in the tank then?
|JohnnyD44 ||02-19-2009 10:07 PM |
just make sure you RINSE, RINSE, RINSE AND RINSE then let dry 100%
|lowco1 ||02-19-2009 10:09 PM |
how much bleach do I use
|aunt kymmie ||02-19-2009 10:23 PM |
The cleaning instructions on my micron filter for my HOB says to use 1 part bleach to 3 parts water. If that's okay for a filter I'd think it would be sufficient & safe for rock cleaning. As everyone has stated let the rocks dry 100% before using, after you have RINSED, RINSED & RINSED :-)
PS. I like the way the rocks look...
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM. || |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2