Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   2 month old 55 gallon and ich! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/2-month-old-55-gallon-ich-21411/)

Scooter Scott 02-18-2009 08:49 PM

2 month old 55 gallon and ich!

Well it happened! I came home today and noticed that I have white bumps all over my top swimmers....my mid swimmers and bottom dwellers don't have any dots that I can see. Anyways so I am guessing this is ich. I didn't see the dots this morning so I am feeling that I caught it very early.

Those effected:

1 Pictus Catfish
2 Bala Sharks
1 Hatchet Fish
1 Scissor Tail
1 Pleco (He's been hanging out at the top of the tank lately)

Others in the tank right now:

2 Snails
5 Cardinal Tetra's (I didn't see the bumps till after I just added these guys :( I put these guys in tonight)
3 Guppies
1 Marigold
2 Mollies (I have noticed that 1 of the molly's has been rubbin around in the gravel last week but didn't think anything of it and didn't notice any spots)
1 Oto
1 Rubber Lip Pleco
1 Blind cave Tetra (I just put this guy in on Monday. I think I remember seeing something that he came from a reverse osmosis tank)
2 Gourami's

So I read around a little bit and I have turned up my water temp just now. I will monitor it and try to make sure it doesn't go above 78-80 tonight. I'll do a water change tomorrow and then add the salt and work it from there I guess....this makes me sad :(

Scooter Scott 02-19-2009 08:00 AM

Should I go get me a quarantine tank to take out the fish already effected to try and save the others or what should I do? I will do whatever I need to do to fix this!!

1077 02-19-2009 08:19 AM

If it is ICH it has probably affected all fish so quarantine wouldn't help at this point. Were it me, I would use product QUICK CURE found at most fish stores and at walmart. I would use this at half dose and follow the directions to the letter. I am not a fan of medicating tanks but this is a product that I feel comfortable with. IT will turn the water blue and silicone sealent as well but over time it usually goes away . Check your water parameters for ammonia, nitrites, etc. It is important to provide excellent water for fish to help fight parasites, disease, etc. Salt has also worked well for many but Many species of catfish or scaleless fish don't do well with large amounts. If you choose the medication over salt, be sure and remove the carbon from your filter and throw it away. You can replace it after treatment. Many people take out the carbon and then put the same carbon back in after treatment and re-introduce the parasite by doing this. Slowly raise temp to 82 degrees over a period of a couple days. Easy on the food during treatment. Wish I could be of more help but have not used salt method. PS you have a lot of fish ,,so maintaining good water quality will help decrease the risk for future outbreaks. Regular weekly water changes and keep filter running at optimum performance by rinsing out material in old aquarium water that you take out during weekly water changes.

Scooter Scott 02-19-2009 08:31 AM

I kind of slacked on the water changes at first. I did my first partial water change this past saturday. I have 2 filters running right now but I have a new one on the way. Right now I have an Aquatech 30-60 gallon filter and some old one my friend gave me that is probably meant for a 10 gallon. I have an Emperor 400 that should be here tomorrow. Would extra filtering do anything to help right now?

I think I am going to try the salt method. Only down part is my pictus catfish. I have put some salt in the tank before and he seems to be doing fine. I'll make sure to dilute it this time so that there aren't any spikes of salt in one spot of the tank. I can definitely try the medication if people feel that it will work better than the salt treatment?

1077 02-19-2009 08:47 AM

The emperor400 is a good choice and will help the fish considerably. I would leave both the old filter and the emperor running on the tank for the next month. Then you can prolly remove the old filter. As stated, the salt treatment works well for many and it might be the least intrusive. Hope your fish improve.

Scooter Scott 02-19-2009 09:03 AM

Do I need to cut out the carbon from all of the filters once I introduce the salt for treatment? Is there any special media that I should use for the emperor 400 once I introduce it to the tank that can help in the getting rid of ich?

1077 02-19-2009 09:26 AM

I don't believe you need to remove carbon for salt treatment but don't hold me to that. There is no special filter media that I am aware of that will help in ridding a tank of ICh.

Scooter Scott 02-20-2009 09:36 AM

My pictus gave up the fight last night. He was swimming at a completely vertical angle to the top then allowing himself to sink back down and then up again over and over when I got home from work. I left to goto a friends house and came back and he was sitting at the bottom :(

This morning when I woke up I found a bala shark stuck against the filter...such a bummer

aunt kymmie 02-21-2009 07:46 PM

I'm sorry about you losing your bala & pictus. That's such a bummer. What's the status with your tank now? Are you treating it?

ghosty 02-21-2009 08:24 PM

i feel your pain i'm currently dealing with the same in my 50 gal... i have some sensitive fish as well and i am using the salt method particulary this method Ich Treatment - West Texas Style.. i put the full amount the first day but then i have only putting a tbs the other days. so far so good the only death was my blue white tipped shark. i like the salt method compared to the chemical way... good luck :)