Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Water Chemistry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/)
-   -   Testing Kit too old? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/testing-kit-too-old-21393/)

michelleandbrett 02-18-2009 10:26 AM

Testing Kit too old?

We bought a testing kit with our old tank about 3-4 years ago and now have a new tank and wondering if the testing kit is still good. I've heard people mention that they expire or don't give accurate results after awhile but if there is an expiration date listed on our kit, its not very clear. Its the liquid kind if that matters.

And if we do need to get a new testing kit, how accurate are the strips or should we just stick with the liquid kind?

aunt kymmie 02-18-2009 10:31 AM

Stick with liquid, strips are inaccurate. If I was unsure about the expiration date on a kit I'd buy a new one. But that's just me.

SKAustin 02-18-2009 10:46 AM

Test kits generally should be replaced every 1-2 years. But if you are testing as frequently as you should be, they don't usually last much longer than that anyways. Go with the Liquid kits. I don't trust the test strip kits.

Pasfur 02-18-2009 06:39 PM

Agreed. The strips are horrible.

FordMan 02-18-2009 08:29 PM

if you set up the environment perfect along with cylce and mature your tank you wont need a testing kit

onefish2fish 02-18-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordMan (Post 173102)
if you set up the environment perfect along with cylce and mature your tank you wont need a testing kit

i disagree 100%.

first, how will you know the cycle is complete without testing. second, if anything ever looks out of whack its good to do a test to see what the issue is and how to address it. third this was posted in saltwater so im only going to assume its for a saltwater tank which means you will need to also test mag, alk, ca, pH AT THE MINIMUM, besides the standard ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.

FordMan 02-18-2009 10:07 PM

i was refering to FW everybody disagrees but you never hear me askin about fish ilness etc lol if your tank is old and stable you dont need to keep testing it and if your cycling with fish it takes 6 weeks before you stop doing water changes everyweek and the bacteria are grown

Kellsindell 02-19-2009 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordMan (Post 173156)
i was refering to FW everybody disagrees but you never hear me askin about fish ilness etc lol if your tank is old and stable you dont need to keep testing it and if your cycling with fish it takes 6 weeks before you stop doing water changes everyweek and the bacteria are grown

I'm partial with this en regards to FW, but for saltwater it's just a bad idea. You should always test your new tank once a week and once the tank has become established, perhaps once every2-3wks. Otherwise it's a recipe for disaster ;-).

1077 02-19-2009 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordMan (Post 173156)

Water changes each week of 20 to 25 percent are needed for longterm health of fish in most moderatly stocked FW aquariums. Do others perform them less frequently? yes. Water changes help to keep Nitrates in check and also replenish vital minerals that fish need to remain healthy in the long term. Heavily planted tanks (live ) can go longer between water changes for many of the pollutants that accumulate are used as food by the plants. Regular small weekly water changes will Always benefit the fish more than large or infrequent water changes. IMHO

Kellsindell 02-19-2009 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 173222)
Water changes each week of 20 to 25 percent are needed for longterm health of fish in most moderatly stocked FW aquariums. Do others perform them less frequently? yes. Water changes help to keep Nitrates in check and also replenish vital minerals that fish need to remain healthy in the long term. Heavily planted tanks (live ) can go longer between water changes for many of the pollutants that accumulate are used as food by the plants. Regular small weekly water changes will Always benefit the fish more than large or infrequent water changes. IMHO

Even with Live as you called it, the corals need the trace minerals to keep them going strong. If we dosed for all the minerals that the salt mixe has in it, we would be out more money then the hobby already costs. I don't do 20-25% i do 10-15% water changes.