Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   questions about cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/questions-about-cichlids-21388/)

lowco1 02-18-2009 01:21 AM

questions about cichlids

I am looking into getting some cichlids and I wanted to know do they need any salt in their water? what kind of fish can be put into the tank with them? can you put angels? what temp is a good temp to keep the tank at? also what do I feed them?

aspects 02-18-2009 01:28 AM

first off, "cichlids" is a very broad term. you might want to look more into what type you want, then try again. different cichlids from different areas, will require different things as far as diet, water parameters, temperature, compatibility with tankmates, even decor.
also, angels are cichlids. just to clear that up for you.

lowco1 02-18-2009 02:40 AM

I was thinking about african cichlids

aspects 02-18-2009 03:02 AM

There are many different kinds from many different areas. Different areas means different temp, ph, ect.
I definitely wouldn't suggest keeping new world cichlids (angels) with old world cichlids (africans)
And as far as the sal question. No fresh water fish needs salt in the water, though it is commonly used to treat some illnesses

adpierin11 02-18-2009 09:30 PM

If you are looking at African cichlids like the Mbuna, the only fish I would suggest would be a pleco other than that I would strictly stay with Mbuna.
But just like the other person said you need to narrow down exactly what you are looking for. Give us some specific names of cichlids you were looking at so we can give you specific information. Being too broad won't help you out in the long run.
Angels can go with other fish, but I wouldn't put them with Mbuna....

FordMan 02-18-2009 09:32 PM

how big a tank?

lowco1 02-18-2009 11:42 PM

I havent completley figured out what the names of the cichlids are but I know they are african. There are yellow ones and blue ones if that helps and it is a 55 gal tank that I just bought.

lowco1 02-20-2009 12:15 AM

all right I am sorry for the delay in an answer but I have finnally decided what kind of african cichlids that I want to get they are the ones from lake Malawi. so what is everybodys oppinion and information on that kind of cichlid?

jokerman43 02-22-2009 06:25 PM

I have a Green Terror and A African Chichlid each in a different tank. You need to stay on top of the ph, and make sure there is nothing irregular happening, and DO RESEARCH IN MANY PLACES, it can never hurt, it helped me

mitcore 02-24-2009 12:11 AM

cichilds come in a huge variety and they can range from highly agressive to a almost non agressive cichlid
Before you buy ask for advice or you may find yourself in trouble with an agressive cichlid that will kill your stock