Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Im looking at lighting (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/im-looking-lighting-21362/)

Burninator 02-17-2009 11:41 AM

Im looking at lighting

On my 46G bowfront i am still just using the lighting that came with the tank. It does the job but kinda comes with a problem.

The button to turn it on is a push button. Meaning if i have it on, and unplug it, i have to push the button again to turn it back on once i plug it back in.

What im getting at, I want to use a timer and have my lights go on and off by themselves so i dont leave them on too much. That way i dont have algae problem from too much light.

Anyone know of a fixture i can use that would work with a timer? Also, i dont know much about bulbs, what should i look at for a non planted, fish only freshwater?

WisFish 02-17-2009 02:48 PM

Most light fixtures have builtin starters for the bulbs. That's what you'd want to look for. I have a planted tank so maybe someone else can respond to the bulb preference. I'd recommend daylight bulbs. 6500-6700K range.

Tyyrlym 02-18-2009 08:20 AM

If you don't have plants then bulb selection is whatever you think looks the best.

Neah84 02-18-2009 09:35 AM

I had the same lighting as you and I never had to push the button on again with a timer. I left the light on and then adjusted the timer. The light would turn on and off when time was right on the timer. Never had any issues with it staying on or staying off. I was cheapo and bought an outside timer for patio lights. it has a switch on the timer to use the lights as i want *pushing button to turn lights on and off as i choose* or use the timer itself and have it shut the lights off. :)

so if you dont want to upgrade your lighting system just get a timer and save the money. :)

Tyyrlym 02-18-2009 09:43 AM

The push button issue is odd. None of my fixtures do that.

WisFish 02-18-2009 09:57 AM

I had a really old fixture that used to be like that. You had to hold the button to perform the starter function. Most lights these days either have a round starter sticking out of the fixture or it's built into the ballast.

Burninator 03-01-2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neah84 (Post 172881)
I had the same lighting as you and I never had to push the button on again with a timer. I left the light on and then adjusted the timer. The light would turn on and off when time was right on the timer. Never had any issues with it staying on or staying off. I was cheapo and bought an outside timer for patio lights. it has a switch on the timer to use the lights as i want *pushing button to turn lights on and off as i choose* or use the timer itself and have it shut the lights off. :)

so if you dont want to upgrade your lighting system just get a timer and save the money. :)

I would.... if it worked that way.....

Like stated. If i plug in my lights and turn them on. Then unplug them with them on and plug them back in, they dont turn on, i have to push the button

Burninator 03-01-2009 11:21 AM

i found it once before, but i cant seem to find it again.

I think i remember reading that i shouldnt leave my light on for more then 8 hours a day or something of that nature to help from getting algae

Oldman47 03-01-2009 06:41 PM

I have one that started out that way. It cannot be used with a timer as it is. The option I took was to rewire the fixture with a modern electronic ballast and I went ahead and converted the fixture to use T-8 bulbs at the same time. The T-8 will fit into the end caps for a T-12 but the ballast is not quite the same for both. By getting a ballast rated for both T-8 and T-12, I was able to use T-8 bulbs with no further trouble. There are extra wires on the switch that you just don't use when you wire it to the new ballast. Those wires are the ones that connect, right now, only while you hold the button in. It is an afternoon conversion once you find the right ballast. That took a few hours of internet searching knowing what bulbs I intended to use.