Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   My tank so far (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/my-tank-so-far-21344/)

Shara 02-16-2009 07:49 PM

My tank so far

It's pretty boring. I have tried to find eco-complete at SIX stores. All of them just use gravel. So I caved today and got gravel. There was nothing in it and it was driving me crazy. I've decided this city is in a pretty sad state as far as live fish stores go. We only have one freshwater one and it's sooo limited. He didn't even know what these plants were. Any help? I just have the two because I don't know if they are right or if they will survive... I don't know what to add to the gravel. I don't know if I should have gotten them already since we are still cycling <sigh>

Pics:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3313/...ea5c1c5e_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3242/...d891b175_b.jpg

Shara 02-16-2009 07:50 PM

Also... what do I use for a backdrop? All I ever see is fake aquarium backgrounds and crazy neon colours. I just want a solid dark one. Black or blue or purple... soemthing like that. What did you guys do?

AND can I (easily) change the substrate later? I'm going to look for eco-complete at the neighbouring city next time I'm there.

aunt kymmie 02-16-2009 08:35 PM

So far it's looking good! For my background I spray painted a piece of very thin cardboard black and taped it to the back of the tank. You can always swap out your substrate at a later date if you chose to. The plants look like java moss and jungle val to me. Someone else confirm??

WisFish 02-16-2009 09:11 PM

aunt kymmie is right on the plants.

Shara 02-16-2009 10:46 PM

Oh good. I wanted java moss. i don't know anything about the other one. Will have to look it up. I just liked the look of it. So if I just have gravel what do I need to do to keep the plants healthy??? I'm thinking I want mosquito rasboras. And a bottom feeder or algae eater of some sort.

Thanks guys!

Shara 02-16-2009 10:48 PM

Ok so the jungle val probably wasn't a good idea for a small tank? lol

onefish2fish 02-16-2009 11:40 PM

welcome to the forum.

its looking nice, what size tank? i suggest dosing a liquid fertilizer of some sort and prob. wouldnt hurt to use root tabs as well. the moss isnt going to need the root tabs but just about anything with roots will esp. swords. what kind of lights do you have? bulbs, watts, kelvin?

if the tank wasnt full i would suggest taping it off and directly painting the back glass with spray paint. since it already is, painting something then putting it along the back works just fine. if you really wanted to you could even paint one of the already made aquarium back drops, but those tend to be expensive. they do make them in black and blue but im a fan of just painting the tank.

when the time comes that you want to switch out the gravel your going to want to do it very slowly, over a period of weeks to a month (atleast) the slower the better. remove a small amount, add new substrate, wait, remove small amount, add new substrate. this is so your good bacteria has a chance to establish in the new stuff without going through a mini-cylce or a completely new cycle for that matter.

Shara 02-17-2009 11:26 AM

Thanks :) It's a 10g. I'm actually not sure of the wattage atm because I bought a kit and it doens't say (silly) but I want to have low light plants and am going to change the bulbs this week as well as get a timer.

finsNfur 02-17-2009 01:20 PM

The easiest way to get a black background is to buy a sheet of black poster board from a pharmacy or office supply store, for less than $2.00 a sheet, and tape it to the back of your tank. Each sheet is about 18" x 24" in size, although I'm just guessing, it's somewhere around there. You can cut it to fit. I bought one for my 29g tank. Poster board is just thick paper/thin cardboard.

Your tank looks great! Just be aware that java moss will stick to everything it comes in contact with. That can be great, but with gravel that could eventually become a mess. In my tanks, I have java moss tied to rocks, and driftwood. If you have something you want it to stick to, just tie it on with clear fishing line, and in a few weeks it will attach itself.

What kind of fish are you getting?

Shara 02-17-2009 07:31 PM

Ok. I found a background today. One of the gimicky ones at petsmart had a pure black back so i bought that and now the silly pattern is on the outside lol! but it works.

I also got some flourish and added that. And I found some laterite so I mixed that in with the gravel. I hope that was a good thing to do. I rinsed it but my tank is red atm.

And I got 15w bulbs. There wasn't a large selection but these ones said they were for plant growth. Hopefully that works.

I'm not pleased with my limited resources here.