Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/)
-   -   45 Gallon Reef Wishlist (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/45-gallon-reef-wishlist-21342/)

qwerty0973 02-16-2009 08:09 PM

45 Gallon Reef Wishlist

I have not picked out the corals yet, but I have my fish I want picked out

1 Royal Gramma Basslet
5 Blue/Green Reef Chromis (moving 2 from my 10 gallon)
3 Occellaris Clownfish
Moving my mandarin
2 Yellowhead Jawfish
I really want a Flame Angel, but I heard they were'nt very good in a reef aquarium so instead maybe a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse.

comments or concerns would be greatly apperciated.
I gladly take constructive criticism.

Cody 02-16-2009 08:42 PM

Whoa there, that would be overstocked. I have a 40G reef, and would never put more than maybe 7 fish in there, and that would be max with all the fish being small.

I will look at your fish list...

-Gramma: That would be fine
-Chromis: Bad idea IMO. They kill each other off in groups untill you get only 1 left.
-Clowns: Why 3? 2, in a pair, would be best.
-You better wait for the tank to mature for that mandarin.
-Jawfish: Again, why two? One is fine.
-Flame angel: Don't risk it in a reef.
-Wrasse: I am no expert on wrasse's, so I don't know.

If it were me, I would do this with your list:
-1 Gramma
-2 Clowns
-1 Jawfish
-1 Mandarin (because you already have it)
-1 other fish
-1 other fish after the tank has matured 1+ year and if everything is ok.

Pasfur 02-16-2009 10:08 PM

Bob Goemans has a nice section on his website that could come in handy for you:
Welcome to Saltcorner.

When it comes to Centropyge angelfish, Bob only has 3 species that he recommends for a reef environment. They are the Coral Beauty, Half Black, and Flame. I have never kept a Flame Angel at home, but I plan to take Bob's advice on the subject and put one into my 180. From what I can tell, he is very conservative in his recommendations.

I agree with Cody's comments above on all other selections. I think you are pushing the limits with most of these suggestions. Keeping 3 Clownfish is rarely advisable. Keeping a Mandarine in a small aquarium is generally a receipe for disaster. (Yes, a 40 is small.) Chromis rarely work well in small groups and generally only are kept successfully long term in groups of 20+ in very large tanks.

I think you still have a lot of planning to do. In the marine hobby, you have to sacrifice personal interest in favor of what works best for the fish. Sometimes that means waiting until the "next" tank for the species you really want.

onefish2fish 02-16-2009 10:42 PM

welcome to the forum.
i agree with above postings but would like to hear more about the tank and setup.
sump? filtration? sand? lights? flow? what type of corals are you planning on keeping? and everything else you wish to include.

qwerty0973 02-17-2009 06:54 PM

Thank you

Thank you for the consideration and time you have put into this. I won't be getting this whole setup for a while due to saving for France 2011! So this will give me ample time to think. So revised stock list will include:

My 2 Chromis
My mandarin (fed copepods from liveaquaria)
2 Clownfish
1 Yellow Head Jawfish
Royal Gramma Basslet

Later on I may add a Wrasse

Corals:

Certified Soft Coral Frag 5 Pack:
Saltwater Aquarium Corals for Marine Reef Aquariums: Drs. Foster & Smith Certified Soft Coral Frag 5 Pack - Aquacultured

Button Polyp
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Button Polyp

Multicolored Colony Polyp
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...72&pcatid=1972

Hairy Mushroom Coral
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...665&pcatid=665

White Pom Pom Xenia
Saltwater Aquarium Corals for Marine Reef Aquariums: White Pom Pom Xenia, Red Sea - Aquacultured

Tube Coral
Saltwater Aquarium Corals for Marine Reef Aquariums: Tube Coral, Orange

Live Rock:

Fiji Premium Live Rock (45#)
Fiji Live Rock: Select Premium Fiji Live Rock from Drs. Foster & Smith

Refugium Rubble (10#)
Saltwater Aquarium Live Rock for Marine Reef Aquariums: Refugium Rubble

Inverts:

My Green Pincushion Urchin

My Coral Banded Shrimp

10 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs

20 Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crabs

3 Emerald Mithrax Crabs

2 Feather Dusters

1 Orange Sea Star

5 Cerith Snails

8 Nassarius Snails

5 Bumble Bee Snails

8 Spiny Star Astraea Snails

Substrate:

40 # Reef Snad
Aquarium Substrates: Nature's Ocean Bio-Active Reef Sand and Reef Substrate

5 # Miracle Mud

Equipment:

Rapids Pro Series Filter
Aquarium Filtration: Rapids Pro Series Wet/Dry Filter from Tom Aquarium Products

Visi-Therm Stealth Heater

Coralife Lunar Aqualights Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights
Aquarium Lighting: Coralife Lunar Aqualights Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights

Maxi-Jet Wavemaker System
Wave Makers: Maxi-Jet Natural Wavemaker System for Reef Aquariums

Aquafuge Hang on Refugium

Pasfur 02-17-2009 07:17 PM

Your choice in filter will need to change. Lets discuss this further.

In a marine aquarium your goal is to eliminate the breakdown of organic acids, which if allowed to break down will cause an increase in Nitrates and a decrease in carbonates. The filter you have chosen is designed to cause organic breakdown. This filter is a biological filter, which allows for a surface area for organic waste to attach and be metabolized by the bacteria bed. This is exactly opposite of what you want in a marine aquarium.

You want a protein skimmer, live rock, and aragonite sand. The protein skimmer is the ONLY type of filter that should be added to a marine aquarium. The skimmer REMOVES organic acids directly from the water, allowing for a very stable marine environment.

This concept is wide spread and accepted without debate by the greater marine hobby.

qwerty0973 02-17-2009 07:29 PM

thank you Pasfur. I am realtively new to saltwater. I had absolutely no clue all you needed was a protein skimmer, I have actually never heard that before. I am sorry for some of my ignorance about this.

Pasfur 02-17-2009 07:30 PM

Not a problem. That is why we are here.

qwerty0973 02-17-2009 07:39 PM

thank you once again Pasfur. Could you reccomend a good protein skimmer? And thank your for not talking down to me...that ticks me off tremendously.

qwerty0973 02-17-2009 07:42 PM

oh and could you show me a website discussing protein skimmers as the only filtration? I would like to learn more about this :].