Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Please give opinion on if I can add more fish!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/please-give-opinion-if-i-can-21333/)

mags2313 02-16-2009 11:12 AM

Please give opinion on if I can add more fish!!!

One of our tanks, our 55g's dimensions is 48' long 20' tall and 13' deep...
The tank is medium to heavily planted with bogwood and rocks...
We have 9 zebra danio's, 8 otocinclus, 12 amano shrimp, 2 flower shrimp, a Siamese Algae eater and 4 burmese zebra loaches in the tank so far.

Do we have room for a school of platy's and/or mollies?
I don't think we are close to being overstocked but we're not sure...could we add one or two gourami's too?

Thank you for any input.. I will be posting updated pictures soon.....

kkkkyle7 02-16-2009 11:18 AM

Yeah I think you could add them, a lot of the fish you have are bottom dwellers except the zebra danios

Cody 02-16-2009 11:21 AM

As stated, you should be able to add 6-8 platies. I wouldn't do mollies, because they generally like harder water. Be sure you have somewhere to put the fry when you get them, though, because they will breed.

One Dwarf Gourami should work out too.

mags2313 02-16-2009 11:49 AM

Thank you for the prompt responses .... I am wondering if we have room also for any of these fish:
Guppies
Endlers Livebearer
Killifish
Rosy Barbs
and Salmon Red Rainbow fish

I appreciate any feedback, I realize I might not be able to put ALL of these fish in but I want to know if I have room for some of them and which ones could go together...
Thanks Again.

Cody 02-16-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mags2313 (Post 172230)
Thank you for the prompt responses .... I am wondering if we have room also for any of these fish:
Guppies
Endlers Livebearer
Killifish
Rosy Barbs
and Salmon Red Rainbow fish

I appreciate any feedback, I realize I might not be able to put ALL of these fish in but I want to know if I have room for some of them and which ones could go together...
Thanks Again.

I think it would be coolest if you just did one main shoal of fish instead of a few groups. Rosy Barbs IMO would look best with what you have. I know almost nothing about Rainbows and Killis, so I can't help there. The Endlers would be cool too, but you will be overloaded with fry eventually. Same with guppies, and defiantley do not mix the two. You would get a cross, and most people hate that.

Again, I would do a group of maybe 10-12 Rosy's.

veganchick 02-16-2009 12:37 PM

I have a different opinion that cody. I think you could do like 5 guppies (they are awesome! like my fav. fish!) and maybe 6 or so platies? That would be really cool, and you could do dif. kinds of both!

Cody 02-16-2009 12:46 PM

This is what I figure.

Regular Community=Guppies, Platies, etc.
Nice Heavily Planted=Endlers, Rosy Barbs, Rainbows.

If it was my tank, I would go with something that isn't the most common fish available, and do something more "rare."

veganchick 02-16-2009 04:03 PM

well, thats you, and I'm me! By the way, you CAN have a nice, heavily planted guppy tank. I don't really care what you get tho, mags2313. I was just giving my opinion. If you like Cody's idea better, use it! :) I just like guppies cuz they have such a funny personality!

finsNfur 02-17-2009 06:50 AM

Hi Veganchick, it figures you'd be here promoting guppies, lol. 8) I know you from the guppy forum.

Mags, you definitely have more room for some guppies and platies. Be aware that guppies and endlers can interbreed, though. I've also been looking into killifish lately, and I've read that some of them can be aggressive. They are really pretty fish, though. Rainbowfish are pretty, too. Have you considered swordfish? I have my eye on red ones for my tank one of these days. You are fortunate to have a nice big tank, with a lot of room.

impact4 02-17-2009 08:43 AM

Killifish can be quite aggressive if not left alone and are very expensive.