Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   added plants (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/added-plants-21331/)

ghosty 02-16-2009 09:45 AM

added plants

i just added some live plants to my tank, i have not had any success with plants but i thought that i would give it a shot again.
i have:
2 sword plants
4 cambioa
3 money wort
the lighting i got was 15w aqua glow bulbs.
the fish are seeming to enjoy them, how can i successfully keep these plans alive?

Neah84 02-16-2009 10:25 AM

How big of a tank do you have?

Ferts are always a good way to keep them healthy, Might need more lighting pending on how big of a tank you have. :)

What kind of swords did you get? I have a micro sword and its looking pretty good so far, got it sat. :) Hope your plants do well for you this time

kritas 02-16-2009 05:06 PM

Maybe add a bottom layer of Eco complete, then put the gravel back on top, or you can have eco complete by itself...
Also, your gonna be wanting the life-glo bulbs, they work wonders for planted tanks...

Hope that helps =)
Cheers

ghosty 02-16-2009 08:40 PM

its a 50gal. the swords are just regular swords as far as i know. my substrate is sand on one side and gravel on the other. so the aqua glow is the wrong lighting?

WisFish 02-16-2009 09:32 PM

At 15 watts a bulb you'd need about 5-6 bulbs minimum for that size tank. You must be using 2 18" bulbs. You need more light. Also the Aqua Glo bulbs I've seen are rated at 18,000K. Most people agree that 6500K works best. The swords also like iron in the substrate. If you're using gravel, you'll need root tabs. But if you don't add more light, the plants won't make it.

ghosty 02-17-2009 09:48 AM

i only have the money wart in the gravel the rest are in the sand. the money wort have roots growing everywhere. okay so i need to find bulbs with more watts. what does the 6500K mean? will iron hurt my fish?

WisFish 02-17-2009 07:20 PM

6500K is the Kelvin rating. Just look for bulbs that are label "daylight" bulbs. Yes you need more light. But it's not usually a matter of puting larger bulbs in your existing light fixture. Fixtures are usually rated for a certain size bulb unless you are using incandescent bulbs. Even then make sure you don't exceed the fixture's limit.
If not overdone, fish will not be affected by the iron in the root tabs.

ghosty 02-18-2009 09:11 AM

thanks theres so much more to do with plants....

ghosty 02-18-2009 01:35 PM

okay i got 2 life glow bulbs but they are only 15 watts that was the highest in the 18in bulb size. k is 6700 i don't know if this means anything but the lux is 95. i know your suppose to have 2 watts per gal (well about) but how do i get more wattage out of the type of hood that i have?

WisFish 02-18-2009 01:57 PM

You can't. If you have a glass hood you could add another fixture. Some fixtures can be retro-fitted with new inners to be a different type. That usually cost as much as getting a new fixture. Otherwise you'll have to get a whole new top/hood. What are the tank's dimensions? Do you have pictures of what you have? I'm guessing the hood came with the tank as a kit. That's how mine was. The only plant I could grow was red crypts. I bought a whole new top as well.