Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   moon light (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/moon-light-21323/)

FordMan 02-16-2009 12:06 AM

moon light

what is the cheapest most economical and visually pleasing moon light for a FW tank? i want a chance to be able tow watch nocternal shrimp and cats with out there being too much light to awake day dwellers

Twistersmom 02-16-2009 07:30 AM

If you are handy, you can make a strand of led lights for cheap. Ebay sells led lights dirt cheap, then you can wire them up. Google DIY moonlighting. You will find lots of plans. Ebay also has a seller that wires them up for you, alot cheaper than anything you could buy at a fish store.

Tyyrlym 02-16-2009 07:38 AM

Yeah, either DIY LED's or a cold cathodes. You can build your own moon-light for about $10 I think instead of the $25 you'll pay in most stores. Personally I like the blue/purple lights but I think red, green, or blue all work just fine.

FordMan 02-16-2009 09:02 PM

and it's just righ to let the nocturnal creature come out and allow the day time fish to sleep?

Twistersmom 02-17-2009 07:11 AM

Yep! My catfish still come out under the led lights, the rest of the fish go to sleep. I have read it is more natural for the fish, since in nature the moon would shine some light through the water.

impact4 02-17-2009 08:52 AM

I am looking at the same thing for my black ghost knife and i have read a lot of DIY guides and i don't think i could safely make one. How much do you think one would be?

Tyyrlym 02-17-2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordMan (Post 172400)
and it's just righ to let the nocturnal creature come out and allow the day time fish to sleep?

It's never pitch black in the water anyways, well at least in most environments where you get tropical fish from. The moon can be quite bright many nights. A few low wattage LEDs are not going to keep your fish from resting and your nocturnal fish will like it as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by impact4 (Post 172490)
I am looking at the same thing for my black ghost knife and i have read a lot of DIY guides and i don't think i could safely make one. How much do you think one would be?

From the store? Most night lights run around $25 from what I've seen. Bigger tanks would obviously need more but $25 is normal.

Twistersmom 02-17-2009 03:01 PM

Check out Ebay seller, Led Moonlights 4 less. He has some assembled strands of led light for a decent price.

FordMan 02-17-2009 05:14 PM

nice yeah i'm just gonna got to radio shack a soder up 2 blue and one green led (it's a small tank)anyone have a wiring diagram i'm sure i could find one but i figure i'd ask you guys first

willow 02-17-2009 05:17 PM

will you showing a picture of how it looks,
it sounds very nice.