Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   I am interested in starting a cichlid tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/i-am-interested-starting-cichlid-tank-21319/)

lowco1 02-15-2009 10:31 PM

I am interested in starting a cichlid tank

I really like the colors of the cichlids and I want to start a tank for them. what is a good size tank to have a variety of them and what kind of a set up should I use for it like planted of plastic and what kind of filters. Also what is the compatibility of the cichlids to other fish.

FordMan 02-15-2009 10:37 PM

which type of cichlids south amrican central american or african? generally speaking the more space you have the less agression rams for example need atleast ten gallons per ram to avoid fighting something like a jack dempsy much much much more i once kept a pair of firemouths and a pair of jades in a 30 gallon with lots of caves and it was pushing the territorial limits especially when spawning

lowco1 02-15-2009 10:44 PM

I am thinking about african cichlids I really like the colors that I have seen from those kinds.

FordMan 02-15-2009 11:45 PM

30 gallon minimum and thats talkin 6 smaller fish if you want to get into frontosa's or other larger more agressive species deffinately upwards of 55 especially is you want some of the other specis from that biotope such as the cuckoo cat fish (sydontis spp) which is a cool inhabitant to go along with malawi cichlids or african lake cichlids in general as i was advised when i was asking about a smaller african tank everyone was sayin shell dwellers which didn't sound very interesting to me.

adpierin11 02-18-2009 09:41 PM

More like 50 gallon minimum, the only cichlids I would put in a 30 are the shellies, Mbuna need 50 at least.
With Mbuna I would only suggest other Mbuna, I have a pleco and a CAE with mine, luckily so far they have stood their ground.
Filter wise I suggest having 10x the gallons. Like in a 50 gallon you would want a filter that does 500gph (gallons per hour). In my 75g I have two filters one that does 350gph and the other does 400gph so in total 750gph (75 x 10).
If you want breeding stick with two species (depends on the size of the tank) having a ratio of 3-4 females to 1 male. Or like in my tank I have an all male tank, I feel as though it keeps aggression down because they aren't fighting over the females to mate.
Hope that helps some!

iamntbatman 02-27-2009 02:07 PM

If you want Africans, it's usually better to pick fish from one lake. The Malawi fish tend to be more aggressive than the Tanganyika fish so they don't really mix well. Generally, Malawi fish are easier to find in stores and are more colorful, but again their aggression can make them more difficult.

jr.masterbreeder 03-01-2009 04:13 PM

I have 6 Yellow labs in a 30 and have absolutly no problems at all... a quarrel here and there but no problems whatsoever. They do tend to be a bit "dirty." I have a 25 G HOB filter and a 10 G HOB filter with a Pleco I just added today. I recommend frequent water changes too... even with those and using a gravel vac, I still have nitrates at about .20 ppm. I like to keep mine around .5-.10 ppm. add some salt too... I'm not trying to scare you off... I almost was but aquarium keeping is like cooking. Everyone has their own experiences and ways of doing it... remember that... I'm 16 and have people bashing me for the past 4 1/2 years because i dont do something their way but my own. I have had very few problems in doing that after alot of research and blending some methods together. I do recommend labs though because they have a wonderful personality. If you're lucky enough you can get "green" or "blue" tints in the fish too. I have 2 completely yellow ones with horizontal black striped fins. and 4 others who have a green or blue tint to them... Hope this helps!!:-)