Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   Can someone ID this CRAB! PLZ!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/can-someone-id-crab-plz-21296/)

tinydove 02-15-2009 12:21 PM

Can someone ID this CRAB! PLZ!!

4 Attachment(s)
Hey all,
I just noticed I have a crab in my tank. I have had the LR for almost 10 years when I had my 55g Reef. I sold the 55g and got a 12g about 4-5 years ago and used some of the LR for the 12g when I set it up since it was cured for years. I never had any trouble in my 55g with anything attacking my corals or other live stock so I am hoping he is a "GOOD CRAB" PLZ tell me he is! I have not added any LR to my 12g since I have set it up almost 5 years ago. I have a Perc Clown Fish and a peppermint shrimp and some snails in the tank as well. The clown has been in there since I set the tank up, for years now but the shrimp is new as well as a turbo or two. So this crab has been in this bib piece of LR for almost 10 years, How long do crabs LIVE!!

Any Id with this crab would be great, thanks all.

aunt kymmie 02-15-2009 12:26 PM

Hi, welcome to the forum. I don't know anything about salt but lots of people here do and they will know exactly what type of crab this is. I just wanted to say welcome aboard! :-)

tinydove 02-15-2009 12:28 PM

Thank yo ver much, nice to meet u also.

onefish2fish 02-15-2009 12:38 PM

welcome to the forum.
i like the pep hanging upside down, they always seem to do that :-D

anyways it looks to be an emerald crab to me however its hard to tell. if it is an emerald they are technically reef safe. i say it that way because all crabs are opportunistic and will take advantage of what they can, when they can.

if you have a refugium you could always add him there.

how about more info on this guy? what color would you say he is? what color claws? what shape of claws (sharp or spoon like?) does it appear hairy?

if you dont mind i would also like to hear more about your tank, equipment and so forth and possibly a full tank shot.

onefish2fish 02-15-2009 12:39 PM

starring more at the picture, it appears to have black sharp claws so it may be a gorrilla crab which i would remove.

tinydove 02-15-2009 12:58 PM

Yes it does have dark claws on the tips. it sees to be a brownish green color. It is about 1/2" across maybe just under. The tank has been up and running for almost 5 years. As I stated the LR came from my 55g Reef set up which I started about 10 years ago. I sold the 55g and most LR and all that went with it due to a vision problem, hubby was worried I might get hurt since I had corals, due to bad reactions I have from eating shrimp and other shellfish. So he got me the 12g and I used some of the LR and LS from the 55g before I sold it. For the past 4-5 years it (the 12G) has been a FOWLR and I just got the pep on Thursday w/ a few turbos.
Right now it just has an Eclipse hood that came with the tank and stand but I just ordered new lights and a HOB filter as well as a Korila PH and they are all due to come in on Thursday. If it is a bad reef crab, how would I go about getting it out, could I did the LR in a hyper water bath w/o hurting any growth on th LR, it is a huge piece, and would hate to lose it.

How long do crabs live, this thing has to be at least 10 years in the LR and I have never added any other LR since the tank was set up.

tinydove 02-15-2009 01:04 PM

I plan on turning it from a FOWL to a Nano with some shrooms and other softies as soon as my new lights and things come in but want to make sure about the crab before I add anything to it.

tinydove 02-15-2009 01:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a few shots of it right now until I change over my lights and other equipment on Thurday. The bir LR on the right is the one w/ the crab in it. I use to have a mated pair of Percs and that is why I set the 12g up 5 years ago, but I lost my female last summer so now I just have my male who I asume is now a girl...LOL he/she is about 10 years old too, they were in my 55g before I sold it.

Cody 02-15-2009 01:18 PM

As stated, the sharp claws generally mean it is a predator. I would try to get it out before it begins to molt and grow, or attack your inverts. It could also kill some corals when you switch over.

tinydove 02-15-2009 01:25 PM

Thank you, what would be he best way to get him, he lives in a small whole in the LR. Any ideas would be helpful, I just do not want to damage the big piece of LR he is in for it is almost 10 years old and full of life. it is over 12" long and about 6" wide and such a beauty. Would he have not molted in the past 5 years he has been in the tank hubby and I have never seen a molt from him. I have OCD when it comes to my water changes, I do them every week like clock work and figured we would have noticed one. Any idea how long a crab would live?