Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   10 gallon cory tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/10-gallon-cory-tank-21293/)

impact4 02-15-2009 10:42 AM

10 gallon cory tank

After a lot of thought i have decided i am going to use my 10 gallon tank for cories. I read an article on breeding them and i am interested in trying that out. i was just wondering how many cories can i keep in a 10 gallon tank if they are the only species in there?

It will be planted with sand and substrate for those of you who are wondering.

Just a few question about the sand:

Will plants grow in this or do they need an additional substrate.

should my lfs have it?

I already filled the tank with water, how long will it take for the sand to settle down to the bottom?

Will a nylon stocking over the filter prevent waste from going through?

Thank you

fishyinpa 02-15-2009 11:45 AM

Hello there. I dunno about breeding corys,but I really love my corys! I was going to get 6 cories (small ones obviously) but the guy at the lfs was like no 6 wont fit in a 10. Said i would need at least a 15 for that many. But if you get the small ones,like pygmy or dwarfs ( i couldnt find them around here) then 6-7 will probably fit. Not sure about the plants...i only have fake lol...Your lfs should have other kinds of substrate to help grow plants. I think its called eco complete...It took maybe a day for my tank to not be cloudy anymore from the sand. You mean the sand going thru the filter? As long as the tube part on the inside doesnt go all the way to the bottom,you shouldnt have a problem with it. Good luck! Im sure someone else will have better answers,since I dont know that much,I am a newb.

Cody 02-15-2009 12:16 PM

I don't know if regular sized cories will work. Pygmy's will defiantley work (you could house more than 6; more like 10), though.

No idea on how to breed them. Sorry.

aunt kymmie 02-15-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by impact4 (Post 171762)
After a lot of thought i have decided i am going to use my 10 gallon tank for cories. I read an article on breeding them and i am interested in trying that out. i was just wondering how many cories can i keep in a 10 gallon tank if they are the only species in there?

It will be planted with sand and substrate for those of you who are wondering.

Just a few question about the sand:

Will plants grow in this or do they need an additional substrate.

should my lfs have it?

I already filled the tank with water, how long will it take for the sand to settle down to the bottom?

Will a nylon stocking over the filter prevent waste from going through?

Thank you

I have a planted tank with sand and it does well. What kind of lighting do you have on the tank?
Did you rinse your sand very well before putting it into the tank? I don't have anything covering my filter intake but I do turn off the filter when I do water changes. I stir the sand around during water changes to prevent any anaerobic gas pockets from building. Once the sand has settled down after the water change I turn the filter back on.

impact4 02-15-2009 06:29 PM

Okay, i believe the cories at lfs are dwarf they are typically 1-2 inches long. What size are dwarfs compared to regular.

I have a regular light.

I did rinse the sand.

Lastly how would some platy and guppy fry do with these guys?

They wont irritate them too much will they? once they grow i can move them into my 40 gallon.

aunt kymmie 02-15-2009 06:38 PM

Platys & guppies would be fine with cories. 1 to 2 inches isn't a pgymy. Pygmys are an inch at full size, if that.

FordMan 02-15-2009 08:29 PM

You can put 20 inches of fish in a ten gallon tank tops plants and sand work out well a little gravel mixed in will help keep it well airated they also make aquatic soil which is more inert than sand. instead of a nylon sock over the intake i'd try a sponge especially since you may have fry in the tank i've done this by carving out a hole in an extra aqua clear sponge cartridge and jamming the intake tube into it.

onefish2fish 02-15-2009 08:43 PM

i agree with the sponge over the filter or even better a seperate tank for fry but i disagree on 20 inches of fish in a 10 gallon.
20 inches of cories would be to busy of a bottom IMO

impact4 02-15-2009 08:48 PM

they are the same size as panda cories if that helps at all. I am typically bad at estimating.

FordMan 02-15-2009 09:07 PM

20 inches of typical cories is 5 cories if thats all thats in the tank and if you have broad leaved plants or other elavated flat surfaces it would be no problem at all especially corries the most non agressive friendliest fish of all they almost crave that close companionship mine are never more than 6 inches away from one another