Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   barbs and rts not compatible? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/barbs-rts-not-compatible-21283/)

jdm free 02-14-2009 09:50 PM

barbs and rts not compatible?

ive been reading up on green tiger barbs, and barbs in general ive read a few times they dont like to be around red tailed sharks and that these arent compatible and get aggresive with each other? it would be in a 30 gallon bow front tank.

i want a rts and cherry barbs and green tiger barbs. would this work?

Lupin 02-15-2009 03:31 AM

Wrong. These fish are actually compatible. They can fend for themselves if either of them starts bickering with the other. Cherry barbs are better off in a more peaceful community than one where the tiger barbs may harass them constantly.

NUMB3RS 02-15-2009 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdm free (Post 171670)
ive been reading up on green tiger barbs, and barbs in general ive read a few times they dont like to be around red tailed sharks and that these arent compatible and get aggresive with each other? it would be in a 30 gallon bow front tank.

i want a rts and cherry barbs and green tiger barbs. would this work?

Yes they are compatible but remember the red tail sharks can be very aggresive i saw them in a LFS attacking a Krib

jdm free 02-15-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NUMB3RS (Post 171758)
Yes they are compatible but remember the red tail sharks can be very aggresive i saw them in a LFS attacking a Krib

yea i know they are, i want to have a semi aggresive fish that is very active, but i wanted to have fish that can fend for themselves but not constantly be fighting. if that makes sense?

Cody 02-15-2009 12:21 PM

I have had Tiger Barbs with a RTBS. They are perfectly compatible.

It was even in a 30G bowfront as well, so hey. Lol. :-)

But just be careful with adding any other bottom dwellers with the shark once it matures. I saw a few nights at first where my male Krib and RTBS fought, and where the shark chased every other fish in the tank. They eventually mellow out, but be very careful.

veganchick 02-15-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdm free (Post 171772)
yea i know they are, i want to have a semi aggresive fish that is very active, but i wanted to have fish that can fend for themselves but not constantly be fighting. if that makes sense?

They really aren't all that active.

Cody 02-15-2009 12:28 PM

Who, sharks? Or the barbs? Both are very active. The shark primarily in the evening/night with the barbs being active when the lights are on.

jdm free 02-15-2009 12:41 PM

tiger barbs are really active in schools. i just bought 3 of them and putting them in the tank today.

Cody 02-15-2009 12:44 PM

I wouldn't get Tiger Barbs unless I had a group of ten. Yes, ten. Not kidding. I had 8, and one killed off more than half of the group. I isolated him, added more fish, and then another one took dominance and the pecking order was established. Three will most likely result in dead fish.

jdm free 02-15-2009 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody (Post 171805)
I wouldn't get Tiger Barbs unless I had a group of ten. Yes, ten. Not kidding. I had 8, and one killed off more than half of the group. I isolated him, added more fish, and then another one took dominance and the pecking order was established. Three will most likely result in dead fish.

i plan to have atleast 6. started with 3 since they are the first to go into the tank. levels are good so i figured ill introduce a few fish a day. ill add more in a week or so

im guessing its ok to mix and match tiger barbs. have like 6 green, and 6 regular?