Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Catfish Confusion (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/catfish-confusion-2128/)

fish_4_all 12-28-2006 01:23 PM

Catfish Confusion

Ok, here is my confusion:

Otos: I have never been able to keep them alive in a tank that is less than 6 months old. Therefore my recomendation would be not to get them in a new tank and wait until it is very well established. Others say that they are fine right after the cycle. Is there something to this or am I just unlucky with otos?

BN pleco: I have never had my BN eat my plants. The only signs I have ever had was on older yellowing leaves of a red melon sword and they would rasp off the old dying parts from the middle of the leaf. Also, dirty or not, my water quality in my 10 gallon tank with 2 of them has been pristeen for many months now. Granted it is heavily planted and this could be the reason but I have never had a problem with massive amounts of waste from these pleco. The only time I see much waste at al is when I give them zucchini or other veggies once a week. The algae wafers have never resulted in massive waste ammounts and they get 2-3 a day.

This is only my observations, I have researched them and know a lot about both but this is what I have seen. I wouldn't recommend getting 2 BN for a 10 gallon tank. It can work as it has for me in a very heavily planted tank but still not recommended. I will be moving them to a 20 as soon as I can get one. From my observations, this is not for waste production but for room to roam and to have enough caves for all of them in the tank. Especially if the intent to breed them.

Bristle nose 12-31-2006 07:08 AM

If you feed your BNs vegetable then they shouldn't eat really your plants! But when i didn't feed an Albino BN any vegetables he started to eat a Giant Val in my tank and not just a litle bit of it ever! But its not like they eat all types of plants, only soft leaved plant like Valisneria, Amazon Sword, ect. But hard leaved plants like Anubias, Java Fern, ect, they wont eat.

crazie.eddie 12-31-2006 02:49 PM

I've always known some fish, especially neon/cardinal tetras and otocinclus catfish, to be sensitive to water conditions and should only be added to a well mature established tank (well stocked tank running more than 3 months). Normally expect a few die offs of either fish, when ever taking them home. I have successfully kept otos in my tanks and are doing very well in both tanks they reside in. It maybe that my water parameters do not shift at all, even after a large WC (water change), since the WCs I use is aged, treated with Prime, and heated for over 24 hours, before being used.