Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Is it ok to feed my tiger barbs/danios as much as they can eat? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/ok-feed-my-tiger-barbs-danios-21272/)

Sj45 02-14-2009 05:28 PM

Is it ok to feed my tiger barbs/danios as much as they can eat?

I just today decided that since the greater part of my cycling process was over I could probably grant my little fishies a little bonus...in food, so I added a bit at a time for 5 minutes (all consumed, flake) so decided hey, they're still eating why not give them a little desert (bloodworms) they continued to eat...and then lol, just my barbs were having serious trouble swimming to the bottom.

Why was this? (assuming it had something to do w/ the bloodworms)

Anyway, me being me, still seeing the fish eating gave them a little bit more flake food, seeing them still eating it, and their stomachs getting a little large, stopped, so I was wondering...

Is it ok to feed them as much as they can eat if I don't let excess food drop to the bottom?

Just wanted to know if they could decide for themselves how much to eat, or not :) thanks.

Burninator 02-14-2009 06:09 PM

mine will actually stop eating once they are full

I do try and let some get to the bottom for my shark.

I normally feed twice a day. Morning flake and algae wafer then afternoon is sinking food and shrimp pellets

Every so often i switch out the afternoon for the bloodworms

Twistersmom 02-14-2009 06:17 PM

I dont think my tiger barbs or danios would ever stop eating. I think they would let their stomaches explode first. I think it would be better to give them a few small treats through out the day, than let them eat all they want at one feeding time.

jeaninel 02-14-2009 08:29 PM

I think it's healthier to slightly underfeed than to overfeed. Smaller feedings a couple times a day is better than one big feeding.

FordMan 02-14-2009 09:12 PM

As much as they can eat in 5 minutes mine always look pregs after eating

dramaqueen 02-14-2009 09:14 PM

Mine could eat a whole package of food in 5 minutes if I let them. lol

FordMan 02-14-2009 09:15 PM

maybe for one or two days but it catches up to them ..and goes right to their hips lol jk but seriously after a week or so you'll notice they won't eat as much

Sj45 02-14-2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 171601)
I think it's healthier to slightly underfeed than to overfeed. Smaller feedings a couple times a day is better than one big feeding.

I have school/work so I don't know if that's possible but I'll try and work smaller feedings in as right now it's more of one medium size feeding, thanks.

Sj45 02-14-2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordMan (Post 171638)
As much as they can eat in 5 minutes mine always look pregs after eating

They definitely looked pregnant today after I fed them, first time I've saw that.

Sj45 02-14-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordMan (Post 171641)
maybe for one or two days but it catches up to them ..and goes right to their hips lol jk but seriously after a week or so you'll notice they won't eat as much

This is interesting, so your saying just to let them eat as much as they want, and then they'll slow down?