Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/)
-   -   anemone and cc starfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/anemone-cc-starfish-21271/)

melo 02-14-2009 05:04 PM

anemone and cc starfish

So I have read in many places that a cc star fish will eat any anemones or coral but today I looked at a anemone that was only 7 dollars and it was huge. I don't remember the species but it was really big, would my cc still eat this, even though the anemone is much bigger? I really want to put in an anemone for my clown, I have the correct lighting and all other fish in the tank are compatible except the starfish, should I take the risk seeing it is only 7 dollars?

Cody 02-14-2009 05:11 PM

CC's will eat anything. This means other inverts such as shrimp, crabs, corals, anems, etc, and fish. Not kidding.

What size is this tank? what is the lighting? How old is the tank? What other species are in there? Water parameters? What would you feed the anem?

Honestly, don't get an anem for the CC star reason, and because they are very hard to take care of, and will never live as long as they should in the wild. A "huge" $7 anemone probably means it is either sick, dying, or bleached.

Brian29 02-14-2009 08:11 PM

Bio-Activ Live Sand

when first putting in the water is the water going to stay foggy or clear up in few days

onefish2fish 02-14-2009 08:38 PM

hey brian welcome to the forum. for future reference making a new thread will get you best results. in this case your sand will cloud the water for a few days.

aquakid 02-14-2009 09:57 PM

I guess but how big is the tank (don't try if it's under a 55 gallon)

Lupin 02-15-2009 03:41 AM

Melo, I'd rather not risk the anemone with a chocolate chip starfish. You don't need anemones for your clownfish. Clowns can practically host anything and most captive-bred clownfish don't even know what to do with anemones.

melo 02-15-2009 01:16 PM

The tank is 80 gallons, I believe the lighting is T5, I know the lighting is good because we purchased lighting that would work if we decide to switch to a reef tank.

In the tank now we have a lemon peel angel, one clown, christmas wrasse (reef safe), and a blue tang. All of those have been in there for at least six months and are all doing really well, except the clown he is being nipped at constantly by the lemon peel but recently he has found a good hiding spot behind the heater.

Recently I added a cleaner shrimp which many people told me not to do because the cc would eat it. The cc has not even shown the slightest interest in the shrimp ( the other day the shrimp was on top of the starfish, I guess cleaning it lol). So I think I may try the anemone, any suggestions on a good starter anemone for my tank size and inhabitants? My water conditions are good, I have only lost two fish in one year of keeping salt water fish. One was a lionfish which was clearly stressed before I got it, and the other was foxface rabbitfish which got sucked into an uncapped filter. So my conditions are good, I have about 45 pounds of live rock, I'm planning on buying some more, will an anemone work in my tank?

Cody 02-15-2009 01:33 PM

Don't get an anemone. In the wild, they can live 200+ years. In captivity, your lucky if they live 5/10 years.

And two fish in one year is bad. You want to lose no fish in a year. The whole Lemonpeel nipping the Clown making it hide behind a heater doesn't make me too excited.

And 45lbs of rock is hardly enough to handle an 80lb tank. You want at least 100lbs IMO. Adding rock to an existing setup is very risky as well.

onefish2fish 02-15-2009 02:27 PM

i agree. no nem. i would rather see you invest money in more live rock then an anemone.

how do you not know what kind of lighting you have? im going to guess it is power compacts, but again im just guessing.
the question "what is a good starter anemone?" shocks me. there are NO starter anemones, period.
also "good" water quality means nothing. what are your exact water parameters? ammonia, nitite,nitrate,pH,temp,SG,alk,ca,mag and anything else you can test for. what kind of flow, filtration, protien skimmer and so forth.

melo 02-15-2009 02:48 PM

Wow I'm not sure why I even post on here, people are so offensive and aggressive. Last time I asked if a shrimp was gonna work, most said no, I did it and it has worked great. My water is fine I'm not gonna post all the parameters when their are the wierdest people on this site, I appreciate the earlier people who posted, they were of help but onefish2fish you are just mean in my opinion, I already stated what lighting I have, T5, I bought lighting from my lfs and they sold me lighting that would work for a reef setup. I will probably get the anemone because it is cheap and if it doesn't work it doesn't work. Also I didn't lose those two fish due to water quality if u read, one was because I bought a fish that had just been delivered an hour ago and was stressed and the foxface died because a cap fell of my powerhead and trapped it for awhile.