Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Fish with angelfish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/fish-angelfish-212545/)

truman 06-24-2013 04:06 PM

Fish with angelfish?

I am getting angelfish and are red wag platies and mollies compatible with the angelfish?

truman 06-24-2013 04:33 PM

Fish with angelfish?

I have a question. I know angelfish do best in single species aquariums but I really want some other fish with them. So far it looks like I m going to get cory catfish but do you know any other types?
Thanks

Agent13 06-24-2013 05:58 PM

What's the aquarium size? I have 4 in a 75 community and working very well but I'm sure at least a few people would somewhat advise against it.

Sent from Petguide.com App

Amy107 06-24-2013 06:53 PM

Here is a list of schooling fish I think would do well with Angelfish.

Harlequin Rasbora
Black Neon Tetra
Diamond Tetra
Pristella Tetra
Lemon Tetra
Penguin Tera
Congo Tetra

truman 06-24-2013 07:22 PM

It is a 60 gallon

truman 06-24-2013 07:43 PM

Angelfish with others

I need to find fish that work with angelfish. I dont want them to fin nip and they can't be too small that the angels will eat them. Anyone have suggestions?

Edit: I moved this post into this thread since the topic is the same. Please keep a issue, and all it's ramifications, in one thread. It makes it much easier for other members to respond when they see all that has been suggested, and you will get a better response. Byron.

Marbellohsdad 06-24-2013 07:53 PM

cichlids- Bolivan rams, flag acaras, and Apistrograma cacatuides, festiums although in a 60 the festiums might be cramped they get bigger then angels.

Tetras- Rummy nose, black, bleeding heart, in addiction to the ones above stated.

Catfish, striped rapshel, corys warm water, sliver dollars,. if you got fake plants. plecos of various types.

Byron 06-24-2013 08:14 PM

Most of what has been suggested will work, with some reservations.

Generally speaking, angelfish will consider the linear small fish as food, especially as the angels mature. Linear means fish that are pencil or torpedo shaped, like neons. Rounder or disk-shaped tetra like those in the Rosy clade of Hyphessobrycon (more in shape like the angels, only smaller and without extended fins) tend to be good tankmates. One does have to be careful of nippers, however, as we noted in another thread about the Bleeding Hearts.

Byron.

Byron 06-24-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

I am getting angelfish and are red wag platies and mollies compatible with the angelfish?

Yes, but with reservations. First, livebearers need basic harder water than angelfish prefer. However, the tank-raised angels you buy in stores are more adaptable so long as extremes are avoided.

Molly absolutely must have harder water, so depending what you water parameters are, mollies might not be wise.

Byron.

This thread is very close to the other two, dealing with fish in with angelfish. It is better to keep this topic together in one thread, so I'm moving this one over too. B.

ameliarose82 06-25-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truman (Post 2397497)
I have a question. I know angelfish do best in single species aquariums but I really want some other fish with them. So far it looks like I m going to get cory catfish but do you know any other types?
Thanks

We had one anglefish in our 30gal until we got our 55gal and we moved it over and have gotten 2 more since then. Our anglefish had a little problem with our catfish at first but after a few days they were fine. Since then we have had them with our black skirt tetras, red eye tetras, mollies and plattys and clown loaches. We have not had any problems except for the tiger barbs that we had to return to the pet store. I know a lot of people would not advise many other fish but we had really good luck with our serpae tetras in with our angelfish and they are known to be fin nippers too. I love our angelfish though and we are very soon getting another tank to get so we can have more together.

I would say research some more on the fish profiles provided here and if your pet store had a knowledgeable owner or worker, talk to them as well. And make sure you have time to watch your fish interacting and that your fish store will take them back if for some reason they don't work out.

If this is a new tank though you need to set it up and cycle it first. We didn't get our anglefish right away, we started with the tetras to help cycle it. Then we added our catfish and only a month or longer later we started adding anglefish to our tank. I think it makes a difference too in territory issues with the fish which ones you add first, so you may want to think about that too. We are learning a lot as we go, I'm just sharing my experience, I'm no expert my any means. At least you are trying to work out as much as you can before you get started.