Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   Eagle Eye Zoas look awful (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/eagle-eye-zoas-look-awful-21247/)

ThalesthePearsei 02-13-2009 05:16 PM

Eagle Eye Zoas look awful

I just got a small frag of eagle eye zoas. they opened up and are brown. They are suppost to be bright green with orange centers. Will they eventually get their color back or what?

onefish2fish 02-13-2009 05:25 PM

did you see them before purchase? first off every coral will look different under all of the different lights. what kind are you using and what kind were they under at the place of purchase?

Kellsindell 02-13-2009 08:45 PM

Your lighting is going to play the main factor in this. If you have any actinics then you may get the color the place you bought them from had, or if you have the same amount of actinics or more you'll get the same coloration, but if you only have 10,000k lights or other, you'll never get the coloration that you're wanting and expecting.

ThalesthePearsei 02-13-2009 09:30 PM

Yes they are under actinic. I have had these zoas before in my tank and they didn't look like this. I got them from a vendor my local forum. They looked awesome in the picture, but as soon as they opened up they looked like crap. I think I got ripped off.

Kellsindell 02-14-2009 02:45 PM

that's always possible, or it could be that they aren't very healthy. Give them more time. what kind of actinics are you using?

ThalesthePearsei 02-14-2009 03:45 PM

Coralife. The seller said that they will color up in time. I have heard of this with cichlids but not zooanthids. Is that true?

Kellsindell 02-14-2009 04:37 PM

Cichlids coloring up in time? Not really sure, but i do know that zoas will, as long as you have some colored lights. Depending on your light config you can get extremly diff colors, better, or worst.

onefish2fish 02-14-2009 04:52 PM

straying alittle from topic ive heard that people bleach there zoos then put them next to colorful zoos and in time they get a slight color morph or a similiar coloration to the zoos they placed it next to. not sure if it works, nor have i tried it, just what ive heard.

ThalesthePearsei 02-14-2009 06:38 PM

Okay, thanks for the info! I see that there may be hope for my eagle eye colony. They actually do look a little better today, its not as brown, more yellowish like its on its way to becoming its green color.
I have never ad this problem with zoas before. Although all I have had previously brown buttons, green stars, and pink panthers.
Does anyone know how fast eagle eye zoas reproduce? I heard that all zoas have differing growth rates. My brown buttons and stars reproduce like there is no tomorrow, but i have heard that eagle eyes reproduce very very slowly, which is why they are a bit pricey.

SKAustin 02-14-2009 06:47 PM

If these zoanthids were kept under inadeequate lighting, the colors may look very poor. Given time under T-5 or MH lighting, they should color up in due time.

The spectrum of light will also have impact on the appearance. Corals kept under 14000k lighting will appear to flouresce more then they would under 10000k. the drawback is the growth will be slowed under the higher spectrum. Basically, corals look best under the bluer 14000k spectrum, but grow very slowly. The corals kept under 6500k will show the best growth, but look like garbage in the more yellow spectrum of light.