Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   cloudy tank water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cloudy-tank-water-21239/)

wendex 02-13-2009 12:17 PM

cloudy tank water

Hi - about 3 weeks ago I changed one of the 3 pads in my fluval filter (rinsing it first as instructed) and all was fine a week later my partner put the next filter pad in but didn't rinse it! since then we've had really cloudy tank water which didn't clear. I did the weekly 20% water change and when it didn't clear twigged that he hadn't rinsed the pad - so I took both pads out (as I couldn't determin which had been rinsed) and rinsed them both thoroughly and did another 30% water change. But my tank water is still cloudy???

We have a high number of trumpet snails now (starting with 2!) and 3/4 of substrate is sand rest gravel - could the high population be causing the water to stay cloudy?

63l (UK) tank 60 cm long, 35cm high, 30cm wide

plastic plants, bogwood, plumbers plastic pipes and 2 grass like real plants (not sure what they're called but they're taking root all over the tank and thriving)

5 cardinals, 2 dwarf honey gourmis, 6 cory julies, 3 cherry barbs, 3 cherry shrimp, 3 ponoccio shimp - (LOTS of trumpet snails) all fish are brightly coloured, active, eating and look healthy so they don't seem to be at all effected by the water - but I'm sure if it's not sorted they'll probably suffer as a result. :-(

Hoping you can come to my rescue - yet again! and help me solve the problem
Thanks Wendy

aspects 02-13-2009 12:19 PM

so how long has it been cloudy?

wendex 02-13-2009 12:20 PM

2 1/2 weeks now. About 4 days ago both pads were rinsed and water changed (2 previous water changes to try clear problem b4 realising it might be due to pad not being rinsed) so I'm guessing the snails can't be the problem - but we will be getting rid of most of them soon- hopefully rehome them.

wendex 02-13-2009 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure if it'll help but this is a pic of tank - there is no background - just a green painted wall behind.

willow 02-13-2009 03:48 PM

hi
have you just changed substrate ?

wendex 02-14-2009 04:33 AM

hi Willow

No I changed it in 3 stages weeks ago. Can't remember exactly how long now but I could check my previous posts cos I asking advice for the best way to go about it. (Regretting getting such a pale coloured sand now
:( but it'll have to stay for the time being) When I did put the sand in it did cloud the water for a while but overnight it settled and was clear so I'm thinking it can't be that, but then with all the trumpets maybe it's getting stired a lot now.

I think I'll just keep part changing the water every few days and hopefully it'll clear - I'm pretty sure it must be the dust/stuff on the unrinsed filter still in the water. Having such a high population in the tank now I prob. should start partially changing the water 2 times a week now anyways.

Just an aside - there have been what looks like clear jelly egg sacks with little black specks on the real plants -would this be shrimp eggs or fish eggs? They don't stay long so i'm guessing they get eaten b4 hatching whatever they are. I'm not in a position to have babies in the tank anyway since i haven't been able to get another tank yet but i'm just interested to know.

wendex 02-14-2009 05:21 AM

Just ticking email notification doh always forget!!

willow 02-14-2009 05:59 AM

hi
sorry i didn't read the post properly.
hmm well it could be from the pads,however i would have thought that,the
filter pads would have caught the bits by now.
i can't see that the snails would cause it either,
the eggs sound like snails.
would it be possible for you to try and fix some filter wool in a pair of pantyhose
to the filter,and see if this helps ?

wendex 02-14-2009 06:12 AM

Yeah i'd have to go get the panyhose specially for it since I don't have any (shocker for a woman I know :D) The thin middle pad does need changing soon as well. Thanks for your input Willow - can always rely on ur advice :) Gonna do another water change today, I could be imagining it but the water does seem to be clearing now - maybe i just didn't give the rinsed filter pads long enough to do their job.

Feel a bit bad that I only log in when I'm having problems - have to try and be a better fishy forum member lol

willow 02-14-2009 06:16 AM

glad i could help.
and as for comming here for help..............what are freinds for. :-D
hope the water change helps,
let me know how you get on.