Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Just a little help please (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/just-little-help-please-212201/)

Molinious 06-24-2013 08:32 AM

Just a little help please

whats the best way of reducing an shrimp over population the natural way? I dont want to kull, prefer a solution that would add to the eco system

KPainter 06-24-2013 09:18 AM

What kind of shrimp are they? A LFS might take some or if you can find a local aquarium group, you could probably sell or give them away through that.

JDM 06-24-2013 09:20 AM

What else is in the tank?

The most natural way would be to sell or give them away... too bad you can't ship them to Canada...

The next best is probably a shrimp stir fry... although I can't imagine there is much eating on those guys.

I think that the trouble with trying to do anything natural means introducing a fish into the tank large enough to eat them, then you will end up with no shrimp as they won't stop. Our tanks are far enough from being natural that doing what we consider such is not going to work the way that it might in nature. Everything there self regulates in some way that has to do with the entire eco-system and only works due to the huge volumes of water and diversity of life involved.

Funny though, I have the opposite problem. I didn't realize at the time but my LFS doesn't sell male RCS. They claim it is only because the bright red ones sell better... it's really because they would prefer to continue to sell me shrimp as they succumb to attrition. Now I have to scout for some male RCS so my population will at least sustain itself.

Jeff.

Molinious 06-24-2013 10:51 AM

Theres currently a couple of hundred Cherry Red Shrimp, when i say a couple of hundred were talking between 3 and 500!!!! Theres harlequin rasboras, congo tetras, yoyos, bronze corys, gbn plec, opaline and gold gouramis, neons and rummynose tetras. There split between 2 tanks. There both well planted so the shrimp have lots of hiding places! If i introduced another type of fish to go for the shrimplets would be ok, only the congos try and catch them. I had an arrangement with my lfs but they failed to respond after the arrangemnet was made so screw them!!!!

1077 06-24-2013 11:02 AM

My method for thinning out shrimp is very easy.
Take 12 inch by 12 inch piece of window screen,roll it up like a newspaper and secure with rubberband's.
Stuff some filter foam in one end, and drop a couple alage wafer's in the open end, and then place the trap in the tank at light's out for the day.
Next morning the trap is usually crawling with shrimp.

On some forum's I am Roadmaster.On other's, I am 1077.
Only mention this cause someone accused me of stealing 1077's idea for this trap.
We are in fact the same person.

Molinious 06-24-2013 11:08 AM

thanks for the tip! whoever you are hahaha. I dont want shot of my shrimp, or to kull, but managing the numbers by having a "predator" would be useful

JDM 06-24-2013 11:15 AM

I'm pretty sure a few puffers would take care of them... but you would have other issues.

I'll bet if you fed the other fish less for a while they would go hunting. Not sure how effective that is but I think that fish might get lazy when they continuously have the food god drop manna from the sky.

Jeff.

Molinious 06-24-2013 11:18 AM

i WOULDNT GO NEAR PUFFERS!!! My congos make an effort to catch them but not to successful. I saw a vid that Dustinsfishtanks did and he had a fish that fead on shrmp, il have to try and find it again