Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Grave Mistake (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/grave-mistake-212049/)

ericrey 06-24-2013 01:10 AM

Grave Mistake

Hi all, am new here, and new in the hobby also.. I wish to share my mistakes in setting up my FOWLR. This is my first attempt though.. I bought a 20g tank, and the store set it up with everything.. Fish, rocks, and corals. I thought it was that easy, because they said it would be. Alas, after just 3 days, everything died.. Then, I tried reading a bit (yeah, I know I should have done this first). I followed the steps in setting up, and waited for a week or two.. What amazes me, is that ammonia and nitrites indicators result to zero levels. Never I experienced, to have a trace, like from what I read, that initially, you will encounter high levels of both. So when after two weeks, I tried adding two domino fish. They were ok, then after two weeks, I added another two blue damsels. This might be in a rush here, but after 3 weeks, I tried adding 2 tomato fish, and a trigger fish. Later die I realize that the trigger fish is carnivore. What amazes me though is that it eats the pellets, and seem to be peaceful with the damsels and dominoes. the tomato fish werent eating though, and after 3 days, both tomato fish died. I was afraid that others will die also.. A week had gone by, but the remaining 5 fish are still healthy, and eats like there is no tomorrow.

My questions though, how come I did not experience ammonia and nitrites increase? Why did the tomato fish wont eat pellets? Can I add more fish to my 20gal tank?

I know I made some serious mistakes here, but I'm willing to learn

Thanks in advance...
Posted via Mobile Device

ericrey 06-24-2013 02:35 AM

Anyways, just to narrow it down, here's the details of my setup
20g fowl
Pre installed lightin
Skimmer (small, not the rounded one)
Small canister filte
Powerhead
15lbs live rock
Live sand
2 yellow tail blue damsels, 2 dominoes, 1 queen triggerfish
Tank been running for about 2mos
Posted via Mobile Device

Big Dogs Little Pigs 06-24-2013 07:29 AM

pretty much everything you did was wrong. and your lfs should be shot for selling you a trigger fish for a 20g tank. they need AT LEAST a 300g tank.

SeaHorse 06-24-2013 07:31 AM

BdLp.... can you elaborate as to what is the correct way to do this so others can learn too?

wake49 06-24-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericrey (Post 2391641)
Hi all, am new here, and new in the hobby also.. I wish to share my mistakes in setting up my FOWLR. This is my first attempt though.. I bought a 20g tank, and the store set it up with everything.. Fish, rocks, and corals.

Is this a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) or a Reef?

Quote:

I thought it was that easy, because they said it would be. Alas, after just 3 days, everything died.. Then, I tried reading a bit (yeah, I know I should have done this first). I followed the steps in setting up, and waited for a week or two.. What amazes me, is that ammonia and nitrites indicators result to zero levels. Never I experienced, to have a trace, like from what I read, that initially, you will encounter high levels of both.

Did you use Live Sand? The bacteria needed for the nitrogen cycle to take place are already present in live sand and sometimes people do not even see a cycle. The high ammonia and nitrite readings might be a result of everything dying.

Nothing good happens fast in a marine tank. Patience is the key when setting up a marine tank. I personally wait a month before adding fish after I set up a saltwater tank, and longer for coral. I like my tank to be established. I can see proof of an established tank by things like a diatom bloom and the presence of microfauna such as amphipods and copepods.

Quote:

So when after two weeks, I tried adding two domino fish. They were ok, then after two weeks, I added another two blue damsels. This might be in a rush here, but after 3 weeks, I tried adding 2 tomato fish, and a trigger fish. Later die I realize that the trigger fish is carnivore. What amazes me though is that it eats the pellets, and seem to be peaceful with the damsels and dominoes. the tomato fish werent eating though, and after 3 days, both tomato fish died. I was afraid that others will die also.. A week had gone by, but the remaining 5 fish are still healthy, and eats like there is no tomorrow.

BigDogs is right. That fish needs a huge tank to survive. The trigger's immune system will start to decline and the fish will probably die within a few months. This fish needs a large amount of swimming room.

Quote:

My questions though, how come I did not experience ammonia and nitrites increase? Why did the tomato fish wont eat pellets? Can I add more fish to my 20gal tank?

I know I made some serious mistakes here, but I'm willing to learn

Thanks in advance...
Posted via Mobile Device

You should stop adding fish. This tank is stocked full and that trigger does need to be rehomed. And I hate to say this, but the three damsels are probably going to kill each other. They are a very aggressive, territorial fish. I see where Bigdogs is coming from, because this stock list is a recipe for disaster.

ericrey 06-24-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dogs Little Pigs (Post 2392601)
pretty much everything you did was wrong. and your lfs should be shot for selling you a trigger fish for a 20g tank. they need AT LEAST a 300g tank.

Wow, such a mistake, am so sorry about that. Yeah, the lfs seems to be eager to sell just about anything to me. Where I'm from, sellers seem to just care about sales, not the fish's safety..
Posted via Mobile Device

ericrey 06-24-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wake49 (Post 2393561)
Is this a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) or a Reef?

Did you use Live Sand? The bacteria needed for the nitrogen cycle to take place are already present in live sand and sometimes people do not even see a cycle. The high ammonia and nitrite readings might be a result of everything dying.

Nothing good happens fast in a marine tank. Patience is the key when setting up a marine tank. I personally wait a month before adding fish after I set up a saltwater tank, and longer for coral. I like my tank to be established. I can see proof of an established tank by things like a diatom bloom and the presence of microfauna such as amphipods and copepods.

BigDogs is right. That fish needs a huge tank to survive. The trigger's immune system will start to decline and the fish will probably die within a few months. This fish needs a large amount of swimming room.

You should stop adding fish. This tank is stocked full and that trigger does need to be rehomed. And I hate to say this, but the three damsels are probably going to kill each other. They are a very aggressive, territorial fish. I see where Bigdogs is coming from, because this stock list is a recipe for disaster.

So sad to know that.. Just in case, what are the hardy fish that you will recommend that will not kill each other? Actually, I see them chasing one another, but I just thought it is some kind of a territory thing..
I don't know where to relocate my trigger though. There are not too many saltwater hobbyists here :(
Posted via Mobile Device

ericrey 06-24-2013 10:43 AM

By the way, my setup is a FOWLER, not reef
Posted via Mobile Device

wake49 06-24-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericrey (Post 2393969)
By the way, my setup is a FOWLER, not reef
Posted via Mobile Device

You mentioned coral in your first post. What were you talking about?

ericrey 06-24-2013 10:51 AM

Okay, you might have misunderstood, or is it just me?

This current setup of mine (the one with the triggerfish), is my second attempt. It's been running for almos 3mos now. I did not put any corals. My first one, where everything died, had evrything. LR, LS, corals, and plenty of fish..
Posted via Mobile Device